Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H2H Content Site ( Mirror ) - New Content Added 11/22!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A little bit of Naval

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Antifreke
Mystic Moogle
Antifreke

Female
Number of posts : 2378
Rep! : 18
Registration date : 2009-03-03

A little bit of Naval Empty
PostSubject: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm

So, Shin said to make an OOC for discussion about the navy. I figured, since it isn't used, we could start the technology from scratch. It is a pain for me to use land to get to Tara Mura, especially when I could do it by water so much easier.

Discussion items :

Harbors - Ships
Back to top Go down
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
aѕceпxion

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:55 pm

Go Psi.
Back to top Go down
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
Psi Prince

Male
Number of posts : 2610
Rep! : 96
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I hate you...

Basically, I realized that ships have already been created as evident in the Pirates Ho! quest that I did for Tara Mura. Now there's no gunpowder or ample mages so the ships have no weaponry. It's old (possibly even ancient) times so the arsenal would be archers and "sea infantry" (swords and axes and clubs). Ship sizes would probably be limited to skiffs and light galleons. Since they have no weapons or anything like that, I see no need to make a "carpenter item" for ships. It's a storyline thing. Ships are useless without merchants and naval combat is old pirate style of pull up alongside them and board them!

Harbor: This one would basically be you renting out your space to foreign merchants. It would make no sense for you to make money off of your own ships since you would only have money if your merchants are going out and you make money off of the merchants as it is.

Also, I think you should create a quest to set up trade with a random coastal village. Basically the reward for said quest would be a pier. The reason being is that the pier requires ships to be profitable, ships only come with trade, and trade only comes if merchants know you.

Obviously, Site Villages & Member Villages would require interactions, but it is possible for the quest to be done with them multiple times in an RP string/series. Easy way to break it up would be by primary product type of something. Do one where you're touring the stone quarry or the lumber yard and another where you're at the blacksmith b/c you're trading weapons from Sai Village.
Back to top Go down
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
Psi Prince

Male

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Option 2: Less interaction but MUCH simpler... treat the Harbor like real estate from the corporate market. You can have 3-4 different sizes of harbors: Small Bldg, Large Bldg, Warehouse, or High Rise. High Rise should need some special circumstance since it rewards a good chunk of money out.

Like I said, much easier & quicker too b/c the quest is already set in place, but it removes the interaction and a lot of the "on-the-fly" storyline developments and aspects. So it's a matter of convenience vs. creativity I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Antifreke
Mystic Moogle
Antifreke

Female

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 pm

there is another side of it as well. there isn't really anything that says we can't invent or create our own special types of navy, such as galleon style ships. There is really no need for them, but I think putting a water mage on a warship and rolling it into a harbor is a great way to declare war.
Back to top Go down
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
Psi Prince

Male

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 3:04 am

The only problem with that is that mages are abundant in this realm. They would be like maybe 5% of the total population of the realm if that. Now you could possibly teach some magic but even that would take some time. Also, keep in mind that there are 4 approved coastal cities: 3 are member cities and all 3 owners can fly and wield magic, so the ship probably won't make it and the 4th is Tara Mura, which is an economic ally of Mandira, so we really don't need ships for more than transportation purposes right now. Maybe like 2 ships for pirates, but that would probably be close quarters ship boarding for that.
Back to top Go down
Antifreke
Mystic Moogle
Antifreke

Female

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:27 am

I agree. The other thing I was thinking of is airships. We have the weavers and cloth makers. since we know modern technology, and there has to be a history of aircraft since we have planes and helicopters, would it be outside of reason to invent a medieval airship?
Back to top Go down
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
Psi Prince

Male

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 am

Very much so. :p We may know of Present Realm technology but none of us know the specifics of it. Like none of us are rocket scientists or engineers to be able to recreate the technology. Also, you'd be introducing stuff that is far too advanced for the realm. They are still pretty primitive.
Back to top Go down
Antifreke
Mystic Moogle
Antifreke

Female

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:38 am

exactly my thoughts. The other side is speeding evolution. We know there has to be history of the technology that is easily accessible. It couldn't have always been military technology, and the helicopters are privately owned as well. it isnt like we are bringing guns back [though I have thought about that, along with medical supplies and such]. Has there been a ruling on that, cause I would really like to bring 5 of them back as my personal guard.
Back to top Go down
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
Psi Prince

Male

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 2:41 am

Medical supplies is what Mandira makes in the form of ambrosia since it heals humans 100% when eaten. Helicopters and cars and such failed when they were brought back. Also, speeding up evolution to try and rival the present or start moving closer to the present would make the realm itself pointless. I think these people would basically be the ancient Sumerians or EARLY Egyptians in the advancement.

So on the Naval front tho, ships would be for transport. Two classes could be made Merchant Class and Military Class. Merchant has less armament thus lighter and focused on moving mass cargo supplies/goods. Military has better defense rating but slower.

Merchant: 150 Wood; Strong Defense, 100% HP
Military: 100 Wood, 25 stone, Strong Defense, 150% HP
Back to top Go down
Antifreke
Mystic Moogle
Antifreke

Female

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:31 am

I agree with that. Ancient boats were lined with archers who used flaming arrows to set sails on fire. We could definitely do something like that.

Merchant Ship
Requirements : 150 Wood
Stats : Strong, 100%
Threshold : 100 wood, or equal value of another resource.

Military Ship
Requirements : 200 Wood
Stats : Strong, 150%
Threshold : 40 Soldiers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little bit of Naval   A little bit of Naval Empty

Back to top Go down

A little bit of Naval
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum