Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H2H Content Site ( Mirror ) - New Content Added 11/22!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dinner Interruption

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female
Number of posts : 3123
Rep! : 257
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Dinner Interruption Empty
PostSubject: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Dinner Interruption Lexipost
With Psyre gone for his trip or whatever it actually was, I was kept busy with the loose ends and paper work mountains that had to be prepared for his return. The takeover... or merger... or whatever is technically was now that he and his father had come to the agreements they had, must be ready to happen as soon as he returns from wherever he had gone. This meant that my days were filled with numbers and reports; with stock transfers and conversations with Mariella; and with keeping everything quiet to avoid tipping off the rest of Psyre's family.

Pulling long hours at the office meant that my evenings generally consist of grabbing a quick meal before crawling into bed so that I can do it all over again tomorrow. Well, except for those nights when I sought company from a good friend, I wasn't exactly sure what to call him, we hadn't really done the whole 'relationship talk' thing. I didn't want to rock the boat, not with things going so nicely right now. So I had decided to ride it out quietly, enjoy the time spent together, and let fate decide where to take it.

While I would love nothing more than to give him a call tonight, to spend the next few hours burning off the tension that had built in my muscles over the course of the day; dinner and sleep seemed a bit more important. It was late after all, and while I was sure he would still be awake, possibly even out roaming the streets, I needed to refuel my body rather than exhaust it. That is what brings me to an establishment that had become my favorite little dive. A tiny dingy diner tucked between a check cashing place and a dry cleaners just around the block from my new apartment.

The waitresses have already come to know me by sight and immediately lead me to the empty booth in the back corner. I would be left alone to enjoy my meal in peace here, having already filled the waitress in on everything I could share about my life, there were no questions remaining for her to ask. Sliding into the far side of the booth, I have no need for a menu; instead I go ahead and place my order with the tired older woman.

My drink comes almost immediately, tonight it would be hot tea meant to soothe the nerves so sleep would come quickly once I slipped into bed. Since I was tucked in the back of the diner and no one in the place appeared to be paying attention to what I was doing, I allowed my fatigue to dictate my actions and slid the glass sugar canister across the table to my waiting hand with my telekinetic ability. A glance around the place afterward didn't set off any alarms of being seen so I doctored my tea and settled in to wait for the food.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

Number of posts : 157
Rep! : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 pm

The techno music in his ears blared loudly, drowning out the rest of the world in a storm of sound and a cacophony of seething beats, writhing in and among themselves to the almost wailing synthesized voice of a woman in the background. His fingers in the keyboard moved in time to the beat of the song, the older machine's keys making a heavy 'klaklaklak' sound with every depression of his worn fingertips. It was sad enough that the division was a joke of the campus; paranormal sciences didn't exactly attract the people with the money, or the people looking for fame and fortune. Half the time it didn't even attract people who were serious; practical jokers, idiots looking to learn magic, or tell their friends they were studying satanist movements or whatever... Shinji had no time for any of them. He'd actually managed to get a solid education in before he entered the sciences, a masters in theoretical physics backing up his research, and it was only recently that he'd become any sort of fixture at the p.sci labs, and he already was working hard to ignore the stigma associated with it.

He just didn't answer anymore when people asked him what he was doing, just played dumb and let them blabber after flipping up his music.

The fingers on the keyboard shifted beats as the song changed, a heavy rock song randomly selected on the music player as he ran a hand over his face and looked at the keyboard and before looking to the time on the damn machine in front of him, the heavy and clunky software sufficiently archaic to prevent any real work from getting done on it, something that was beginning to piss him off to no end. How could they expect him to work when the equipment he was given was set to detect totally bullshit phenomena? He knew how to track nPartical emissions by now, but the equipment they had here didn't even do that properly. He wondered idly how anyone was supposed to take a division seriously if it didn't even have the equipment to prove itself, but then again, that might have been half the point.

As he pushed back from the computer and saved his work, flicking out the thumbdrive easily and stashing it in a jean pocket, he got to his feet and started towards the door out of the lab, stepping past someone working hard on what for the life of him looked to be a toaster, though he was sure if he asked it would be the possessed remnants of a greater demon or some such thing. While he wasn't in the mood for bullshit, he was very much in the mood to get something to eat and get out of the lab. No matter how much he was looking for the labwork to pull itself together, he needed to start with something before he could go anywhere, and with the samples they had available in the labs...well...

He was better off going and getting some dinner.

Making his way out into the parking lot, it didn't take him long to find the old motorcycle he'd been using and bring it to life, the headphones still blaring as he slid the helmet on over them, making his way down the street quickly with a sharp left turn. It wasn't like he was a punk or anything; aside from the shoulder length bleached hair and the black turtleneck he wore along with the black jeans, he looked pretty normal as he sped along the road, weaving in and out of the gentle late-night traffic. He was about to roll on past what looked to be a dingy sort of diner before he felt something, like a slight tug. He recognized it, surprisingly enough, and as he turned into the nearest right and passed along the street he looked around, the music still blaring in his ears, though he was now substantially more focused, looking towards the dingy diner appraisingly and starting into it to try and figure out quite where the feeling was coming from.

The girl moving the sugar without touching it, he decided, might be as good a place as any to start.

Pulling off his helmet and tucking it under his arm, he waved off the waitress easily and motioned to the woman sitting at her own little table, the woman looking confused but accepting it as he made his way over to her and slid into the chair across from her. He had long ago decided that being socially awkward was for the birds, and he'd rather get to the point than sit around dabbling and being particularly awkward.

"Hi." he said with a slight smile on his face, his eyes focusing on the woman across from him before pointing to the sugar container, a friendly look on his face. "Think you can do that again?"
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 pm

The last thing I ever expected while waiting for my order to be cooked and delivered was for some dude to slide into the opposite side of my booth and speak to me as if he had any right to. A few months ago I probably would have blushed and acted all timid for the guy, no matter what he had said to me; but a lot had changed in this last year of my life. I wasn't the shy little Lexi I had once been.

Considering the interruption with a raised eyebrow and a generally irritated expression, I shake my head while voicing my response in a cool, calculated tone. "Excuse me? I'm afraid that I don't know what you are talking about." My gaze stayed far from the sugar canister on purpose, to even look in the direction of the item I had moved would betray me.

I had no idea how this little punk had even seen me move the damn thing, I hadn't seen him in the diner before I'd done it. Though I was curious to find out how he'd done this, it wasn't worth outing myself. From the corner of my eye I could see the waitress watching the pair of us, she must be in a tizzy that I hadn't mentioned any male friends or ever shown up with one since I started frequenting the diner. So much for being spared her endless questions.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi, could you do that again?
Huh, oh this? I've been able to do it forever.
Mind coming and helping me with something? I'd like to study it a bit. I'll even pick up your dinner tab!
Sure, I've nothing better to do tonight, total stranger!

It could have been that simple, but no, she decided to get miffed about it. On the one hand he understood, he was certainly interrupting, but on the other hand having her nice and miffed was in absolutely no way helpful to him at all. With a slight sigh at the tone of voice, he looked to her once more, setting the ring on the second flange of his right index spinning, the center of it actually cut out in a groove to allow proper rotation, it would seem, as it moved frictionlessly and swiftly through the groove, his thumb occasionally flicking at it to keep it going. As he looked to her he appraised her idly, if unintentionally; she was pretty enough, he decided, though he wasn't exactly looking for it, but more importantly he could tell that she was different, and at least moderately powerful, probably a 2.5-3 or so, he wagered mentally. With a slight tug he removed the earbuds from his ears, pressing a small button to have them snap back into a container, the cord rolled back in swiftly.

"Alright, apologies. I'll get to the point so as not to keep you from your dinner; you're something special, and that's something I'm looking for. I'm currently attempting to do some research on spirits, and if you still want to play it off like it was nothing, I can't force you, but I could really use your help, and I'm willing to pay you for your time." He hated to just throw himself at her like this, he would much rather have the chance to actually do it properly, but at this point he was almost desperate for a lead, and if it took harassing some random girl he'd just met in a bloody diner than so be it. After a moment he blinked, realizing that if she didn't believe him about the research thing that could end pretty badly. "Also, for the record, I'm not quite as much of a creeper as I come off as." He added for good measure as he leaned back in the booth, cocking his head to the side and waiting for her answer, putting a hand to the table.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Instead of apologizing and leaving me to enjoy my dinner in peace, the dude studied me for a bit then removed the bud speakers from his ears. At least that was a semi polite move and earned him a moment of consideration. When he spoke and started off with an apology it earned him another moment of my time.

I listened to what he had to say, every word, before glancing toward the waitress who was getting ready to walk over with my food. Shaking my head to let her know not to interrupt just yet, I wait until she nods back to me and set the plate of food down on the counter. I didn't want her to hear anything I might say to this stranger.

Lowering my voice so it would not be overheard, and leaning over the table to bring myself a little closer to the man my words are intended for, I finally reply to his proposal. "Look, dude, I don't know who you are or what you're really into. There are too many crackpots in this city wanting to lure seemingly innocent girls into bad situations by telling them how 'special' they are. If you really are researching spirits then you're barking up the wrong tree. I am human, I bleed when cut and sweat when hot. Approaching a woman alone in public isn't exactly the best way to get her help, if that is even what you really want. There are better ways to gain female favor. Just because I might look innocent doesn't necessarily mean that I am. Now my food is ready and I intend to enjoy it fully. Because you don't seem like a creeper as you put it, I would be happy to carry on a private conversation with you once I have finished here. Order something for yourself, I'll even pick up the tab, if you'd like and when we're finished eating we can find a quiet place for you to tell me about your research. How does that sound to you?"

I didn't want the guy to think I was a total bitch, but at the same time I didn't want to present myself as a pushover. Asking him to wait until after my meal to finish our discussion of such sensitive matters would be a test to judge his sincerity. If he was one of the crackpots trying to find an easy mark, chances were that he would give up and leave.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Now that was something he hadn't quite figured on; she seemed to be putting out the 'nice girl trying to act like an all-bussiness woman' pants, and if that was her bag then he wasn't exactly in a place to do anything about it, nor did he really care. He almost stopped to think about the innocent girl being picked up by creepy stranger guy, but he shrugged and decided against worrying about it all that much. He wasn't, and he couldn't control what they did, and most of the girls he knew probably weren't that innocent to begin with, but this was all largely besides the point. Still, she seemed to know what she was talking about and didn't just blow him off, so that was a plus.

And anyone paying attention knows that the offer of food is the way to a college student's heart.

He smiled at her once more, the ring spinning on his finger with a slight click as he reversed the direction of the spinning band. "Right. Food. Probably would be a good idea at this point..." he noted, raising an eyebrow around the place and wondering quite what a place like this would legitimately serve. She was flesh and blood alright, but there was more to her than that, he was sure of it; certainly the waitress wasn't similar to her, nor was he, and he'd seen it enough these days that he could tell a spirit, or someone with a connection to a spirit, easily enough. It had to do with the nParticles, he thought, but he warned himself against using them as a catch all excuse; researching something like this, he couldn't make any assumptions. There wasn't anything for him to base his work off of, and so he had to basically start from scratch.

He looked her over once again; she seemed normal enough, largely, a girl like pretty much any other girl, but he decided to at least offer a conversation instead of just sitting here in silence and waiting for the food to come. "Thanks for the offer; I don't eat all that much, grant money for grad students is pretty thin as it is." he said with a slight shrug, motioning to the waitress to bring a menu on over, as he really didn't know what all this place served. "Mind if I ask your name?"
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:06 pm

His decision to stay and eat let me know that I could probably rule out the preying on innocent girls theory, which made it a little easier to breathe. If he wasn't one of those guys then I wouldn't be forced to defend myself against him. When he sent the gesture to the waitress for a menu I gave her a nod to bring my food along with it. This being your typical dive diner it served mainly grease with a side of cheap food but hidden amongst the artery clogging fare on the menu it was possible to find decent dishes like the one on the plate being slid in front of me.

An inexpensive cut of meat was grilled to an almost perfect medium rare served with a microwave baked potato and a couple sprigs of steamed broccoli. Other than this dish, I would only order the ramen or the burger and fries. The daily specials reminded me of the mushed mystery meat the nuns used to serve at the end of the month when the money would start running out so I tried to avoid those at all costs.

Waiting until the waitress hands my dining companion a menu and returns to her other duties, I look across the table to the young man while cutting up my slab of meat. "Food is always a good idea, especially for a student. Your brain doesn't like to work when your stomach is set on empty. So you're a grad student? That would make you what... anywhere from 23 to 26?" Based solely on his looks I would think he was closer to my age rather than five or so years older. Generally I found myself intimidated by older guys... like Psyre for example. I refused to let this one do the same. Just before taking my first bite, and before the waitress comes back to take his order, I answer the question that he posed. "My name is Alexis, may I ask yours?"
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Looking to the menu and to her food, it was hard to relate the two, considering that it looked as though if he ordered anything on the sheet his heart might leap out of his chest and stop itself then and there in protest of the possible artery plague war propositioned by the united congress of the republic of stomach. As he thought this he realized that he should probably be getting more sleep than normal about now, but that could come later. He decided on the ramen, figuring that it was pretty hard even for a dive like this to screw that up, and before the waitress left he managed to snag her and place his order, hanging back the menu before looking to the girl with a nod, raising an eyebrow at the meat before shrugging.

"My brain tolerates an awful lot of abuse, I love the poor thing to death. 22, actually, as of last month, but you were close enough. Katsumoto Shinji, a pleasure to meet you." he noted easily with a nod; it didn't take long for the woman to come back with the bowl, the ramen just being kept on the simmer in back, and he found himself nodding to her and actually anticipating the meal as she set it down. His chopsticks were broken swiftly and with a brief clap of his hands he set into it, eating quickly but not ravenously despite the previously empty nature of his stomach before he looked back to her. "So what is it that you do then, Alexis?" He offered for persuit of further conversation, finding to his surprise that he actually did enjoy the meal placed in front of him as the treaty between heart and stomach was settled, though the heart was forced to accept a concession on the grounds of sodium intake to secure peace.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:41 pm

A few bites of meat, one or two of the nuked potato, and half of the broccoli are done away with between the time I stop speaking and the moment when he takes a break from his noodle bowl to ask me another question. Since this one doesn't require me to speak of sensitive subjects around all of the blind sheep in the diner, I look to him with a polite smile on my lips.

"That's a nice, normal question. A few months ago I would have answered it by saying I was a lowly file clerk shut away in the basement of some big faceless corporation, but like everything in my life in the last year, that has changed. My official title is Co-Manager, at least that is what it says on my pay stub. In reality I am more of a high level administrative assistant, for the company president. I'm still a paper pusher but I'm far from the basement now."

There was a hint of pride in my voice as I detailed my employment situation, careful not to give any names to avoid being easily tracked through public records. I still couldn't be entirely sure that this guy was legit. Even so, I was unashamedly proud to be on such a career path at only 19, and without any higher learning under my belt.

Another bite or two of my meal would have me signaling the waitress for the check and a box. I forced myself to eat at least three times a day but hadn't quite gotten to the point where I was able to finish them all. Living without Lance now had my fridge filled with white styrofoam of every shape and size.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:38 pm

He gave her time to eat patiently enough, though he himself wolfed down the ramen as fast as could be considered polite, the chopsticks almost in constant motion as he snapped noodles and meat and radishes from the soup and downed them swiftly only to lean the bowl back against his mouth when he'd drained it of food to remove it of anything else that seemed vaguely edible. It wasn't until it started down his throat that he realized how hungry he was after hours of sitting at the keyboard doing little but filling in data or searching for something, pretty much anything even vaguely scientific relating to spirits or the interactions of spirits with the real world. He wondered how much of his life he would spend zoning out to techno while researching away on something pretty much everyone assumed was a science for slackers and mystic assholes.

Likewise, he smiled but internally rolled his eyes at the thought of a normal question; he hadn't received a normal question from someone in quite some bloody time, he knew, but then again most normal questions were filler, really, just paraphrase for something people didn't really want to ask but were hoping to be told anyway. It was the odd questions that had something in them. 'What're you doing tonight', 'why would you look up that', 'could you just move the sodding shaker again', these were the questions that actually had a point behind polite social conventions.

But he wasn't quite enough of a whackjob to just blow off the whole social scene, so he smiled and nodded politely as he listened to her impressive accomplishments, beating down the part of him that pointed out that he could have much the same thing she did right now, if he'd only gotten out a few years back and started a real job. He beat that the hell down, as he knew full well he wouldn't have been doing anything near as meaningful.

"Congratulations, it sounds like you're moving up in the world." he noted easily as he watched her signal the waitress. "If you like I'd be happy to pay for dinner, though I don't really care one way or another. Where would you like to go and talk, then, as you seemed to want a quiet place? Ideally you would either come with me back to my equipment for a few tests, but if you'd prefer I'd be happy to schedule something for a later date."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:59 pm

"Thank you, I like to think so", was my answer to his offered congratulations. Another thank you follows soon after when the waitress lays the check face down on my side of the table. Settling my hand over the small slip of paper, I shake my head to the man with a grin. "No thanks, I can handle dinner. I hear students need every penny they can spare." When the woman comes by again on her way back from delivering food to another table, I hand her the check and my card to take care of the bill. Since she would be out of earshot long enough to run the card and print out the dual receipts, I decided I could speak semi freely with my dining companion.

"See that bit about going back to your equipment and running some tests... that would have normal girls hitting the door and not looking back. You can't put things that way, it sounds like you want to take me to your mad scientist lair, hook me up to all sorts of machines, and play out all your secret Dr. Frankenstein fantasies. That is kinda creepy to tell you the truth. How about I turn the tables on you? My apartment is just around the corner, it's quiet, private, and heavily guarded. We can continue our discussion there and work our way up to scheduling those science experiments. Deal?"

Now generally I am not in the habit of inviting strange men to come home with me... Lance and Saito excluded... but this time of night ruled out going to the local library branch and any other dining establishment would come with all sorts of people and employees that could overhear. Besides, if he tried anything funny I could probably subdue him long enough for security to come in and back me up.

Signing the credit slip when the waitress returns, I fold my copy around my card and slip them back into my pocket while watching for the man's answer.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:12 pm

He rolled his eyes as she mentioned the nice mad scientist bit, shaking his head but allowing himself that yes, it probably did sound fucking creepy, and yes, it probably did happen because people were nice and messed up like that. He wondered how many people realized that a legitimate scientist wouldn't do experiments on people without the miles and miles of paperwork that had been tested and approved...or, he pointed out realistically to himself, a damn good reason and consent. Looking to her for a moment with a slight smile, making sure the waitress was out of sight, he leaned in a bit to speak to her easily. "Creepy? Probably. But considering you're the one with the magic powers, and I'm the one with an mp3 player and the occasional bad kung-fu movie for reference, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be doing anything you aren't going to let me, hmm?" He pointed out reasonably, spreading his hands in front of him before shrugging and getting to his feet, motioning for the door and putting a hand both on the helmet under his arm and the headphones at his side.

"How close is close, close enough to walk, or do I need to drive?" he asked, flicking the headphones a bit, his thumb leaning out to spin the ring in his hand easily, the intricate pattern of it whirling beneath the light, his doe-brown eyes still on her. This might have been a hookup, in so many other situations, but for once he actually wasn't going for tail; a man had to have his priorities, after all, and besides, the way she cut the 'Mrs. Business Woman of the Year' swathe across the first half of the conversation had him assuming she was either spoken for or militantly not so, though she seemed to be warming up a bit, making him change his assumption. Either way, the fact of the matter was that she was precisely what he was looking for, and he wasn't about to just let her up and run the hell off, if he could avoid it.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Sliding from the vinyl booth, slipping the jacket over my shoulders, I shake my head to the man before commenting on what he had just said. "First off, there has been no confirmation of these assumed powers. At least you got the part about your not doing anything I won't allow right. That's a step in the right direction." Tossing a few loose bills to the table, almost enough to have covered the whole tab, I step around the man and head for the door.

"It's close enough to walk but if you would prefer to keep your ride safe, you are welcome to drive. The garage entrance is the just after the two businesses around the corner, on the left. The visitor's code is 458, that will get you past the gate. Third level is where I would suggest you park. I can meet you just inside the 3rd floor entrance." Since this place is so close to my apartment building, I usually park my car at home and then just walk the short distance around the corner to grab my meal. No matter what the man chose to do, I would be taking the journey on foot.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 pm

He turned easily, rolling his eyes as he did so as to avoid appearing rude. The added confirmation that he wouldn't do anything was irritating to him, though he didn't know why; perhaps it was that she didn't trust him, or perhaps it was because he knew full well that he couldn't, if it came down to it, do anything to prevent it if he really wanted to. He had long ago realized that this might be a problem, but he forced himself to ignore it for the time being; he hadn't thought that working with spirits that could probably kill him without significant effort would be quite so disconcerting, but then again, these things happened. "I'll be taking my bike, thanks, I'll see you there." He wondered if she would actually be waiting for him there, as she could certainly just blow him off, but he decided that if he expected her to trust him, he might as well trust her. It really wasn't far, but he didn't want to just leave his ride where it was; it would be a shame if it were to get beaten up or jacked, as he really didn't think he could afford another one. The headphones were in his ears basically as soon as he was out the door, the helmet following shortly after to swallow his white hair in black.

The short ride was over with quickly, though by the time he arrived in the garage he sniffed, noticing the smell of rain in the air, the damn prelude to a deluge that he really didn't want to have to deal with right about now. Either way he moved off the bike and towards the door easily, the code having worked just fine, which he took to mean that she was actually intending to meet him; the easiest way of ditching him would have been deciding to just give him the wrong number, and that would probably be all it took to get the message through. Stepping into the building, he looked about to find the young woman, headphones still in his ears as he hummed along to the tune easily.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:59 pm

With the man taking the option of driving his vehicle to the building I was given a few moments of peace and quiet to organize my thoughts. Since I didn't have to fool with the garage, I was free to take the main entrance into the building, pause to speak briefly to the security guards on duty, and then ride the elevator to my floor. Even with his travel time being less than mine, I figured I would beat him to the third floor.

Upon exiting the elevator I see that my assumption was correct so I take the extra moment to go ahead and open the door to my apartment. By the time he opens the garage access door and steps into the hallway, with his ear buds still in place, I lean easily against the frame of my open door.

"Over here, Frankenstein. I bet you thought I would give you a fake code, didn't you?"

Moving out of the doorway to let him enter the apartment, I would continue speaking until securing the door behind him. "Come on in, excuse the boxes here and there, I'm still in the process of unpacking my stuff. How long do you think this will take? The rain is coming quickly so you're either going to want to try to get done before it hits or drag this out until it runs the course. Choice is yours. Have a seat on the couch and I'll get us something to drink. Water alright with you?" Once the door is shut and auto locked per the security in the building, sort of like a hotel door instead of an apartment one, I head for the kitchen to prepare two glasses of the 'sparkling spring water' that magically comes out of my fridge door. Just as I do every time I push the button for the magic water I wonder how much more money the appliance company charged for this sparkling spring water feature? Creative advertising amuses me, though I wish I had been the one to think of calling filtered tap water 'sparkling spring water' and banked all that extra money.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm

He looked up to her, snapping the headphones out of his ears easily, the slight discomfort that always came from pulling them by the cord still as irritating as ever even as they snapped back into the roll of cord and wire that made up the small bundle at his waist, just off to the side. So much of what he did was automated, it seemed like, that he could almost see the gears in his arms. "The thought had crossed my mind." he noted as he looked to her, letting her know he had teeth in a slight smile before he followed her into the apartment and looked to the posh rooms around him, shaking his head slightly; it had been quite a while since he'd actually lived in any form of comfort for himself that he couldn't help but be slightly jealous at the layout of the place.

As he looked out the window he couldn't quite hide the scowl from his lips as he saw the rolling clouds above them. He hated rain and hated wet; he had since his childhood, and as far as he could tell he always would. The rain was an old nemesis of his, waiting to spatter him and everything in the city in it's dank, damp embrace. He didn't mind so much being fully submerged in water, he could deal with it though he didn't like it so long as he still had some form of feet on the ground, but being that halfway soaked or, worse yet, that soaked-to-the-bone chill that only comes with the truly cold, penetrating rain...

Yeah, he could live without that.

As she went and gathered some water, he found himself debating between the two options. While he could do some rudimentary tests here, perhaps, he would rather not have to be stuck--as he watched outside, he would have sworn he saw the first drop of rain start to fall. How long, he wondered, would it last? He couldn't stay here all night, he didn't really know if he could stay more than an hour... Either way he accepted the water with a nod of thanks before shrugging.

"Unless you'd particularly like to keep me here, I'd just as soon arrange to meet you later and be on my way; waiting for the rain to end could leave you sitting with me for quite some time, and I'd like to avoid saying anything stupid at least until the first session." he said with a slightly wry chuckle before he motioned to her. "I'll be blunt; I know you have powers because I can sense when people and spirits do. You're not a spirit proper, that much is obvious, but you've control of some sort or another, and that is interesting. I know that spirits exist, and I know that they have the ability to exert a power, but I need specimens to start anything real, and I need documentation to help get some kind of corporate grant, both of which I'll need your help for. How much would you ask to be compensated for some of your time, essentially whenever you can spare it?" He decided getting to the point was the best idea at the moment, and as he spoke there was a flick of his thumb to set the ring on his finger spinning, the design turning into a blur of shadows as it slid without friction or sound over the smooth surface while he waited for a reply.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Returning to the living room with the glasses of water, I glance out the large window and watch the clouds swirl over the city. "I don't know, you leave now and you'll probably end up getting soaked to the bone. It looks like the bottom is about to fall out as we speak, but if you don't mind swimming home I can help you get out of here soon."

Choosing the large plushly stuffed chair set diagonal to the couch, I lower myself down to the cushion and curl my legs beneath my body. Leaning over to set my glass of water on the table beside me, having already handed his to him with a shake of my head to communicate that there is no need for thanks, I settle in and gaze over the man for a moment before addressing the rest of what he had said.

Now that we were safe and secure inside my home, I knew no one could overhear or eavesdrop on our conversation so I was comfortable speaking freely with him about this particular subject. "You're right. I do have a few abilities that go beyond the realm of normal humans and from what research I have been able to do and what I remember about the night I was given these abilities; I am inclined to agree that what I have is spirit related. While some folks in situations similar to mine have periods where control is lost to their possessing spirits, I do not. I have no form of communication with mine unlike the others I've known who are free to communicate internally with their spirits and even allow them to come forward to communicate with me. I don't know if this has anything to do with the events that led to our individual possessions or if it is related to the possessing spirits. For all I know I could just be defective. I only know of one other like me, and even he seems to have a better grasp on what he was given than I do, he might even have the communication with his spirit and I just don't know about it. Either way, I don't know if this will help you at all in your research. I can't let the spirit come forward to answer your questions or anything, but I can display the abilities for you and let you do whatever you would like to test or study them. But I cannot accept any compensation from you for this, as long as you don't do anything that will cause extreme pain or risk my life, then I don't expect payment. As far as finding time to spare goes, that will be tricky for another week or so. I am in the middle of a large project at work that has to be finished by the time my employer returns from a trip so I am pulling late hours at the office and will most likely be working from home over the weekend. Once this project is finished, things should quiet down considerably and allow me to be available most evenings and pretty much any time on the weekends."

Pausing to take a sip of water, and cast a glance out of the window to see the rain now falling generously outside, I continue on before he can speak to stop me. "If you prove yourself to be a good man and don't creep me out any further, I may be able to convince the others I know to play guinea pig as well. They are much more interesting than I will ever be. Anyway, the rain is falling so the choice is yours. Leave now and swim home or stick around for a while longer and get a demonstration?"
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Looking to the sky outside as she mentions it, Shinji's face sank a bit as he watched the rain begin to pour. He could hear it in the roof, and could practically feel it on his skin already as he watched it begin to grow stronger and stronger, the scent of the damp almost permeating the windows of the house but not quite. He knew, full well, that this was some form of PTSD and he knew full well that it was stupid, and that he was just being a pussy and that he really needed to get over it, but God did he hate the rain, hate everything about it from the way it hit the ground to the way it stung the cheek to the way the constant drumming made his skin crawl. He tried his best to look like hew as paying attention to her, and he was, but he couldn't help bringing his arms across his chest, the finger in the ring fumbling slightly now and then as he flicked the spinning wheel, reversed it and swirled it swiftly as though to some internal beat as he looked to her and tried to keep his mind off the rain outside and whatever might be in it. "I think you misunderstand my intent." He pointed out, somewhat shakily before he coughed into his hand and continued more apace, though he spoke a bit quicker. "I'm not trying to study spirits in and of themselves; that would be pointless, as from what I've gathered they come in all forms, all varieties, all strengths and all personalities, with only basic patterns to identify them into a type. What I'm interested in is their interactions with the real world, the way they can assert tangible power and control over the environment around them based solely on whim, or desire, or some sort of activation mechanic. I don't believe in magic, at least not in the conventional sense; magic is only energy, I think, directed energy based on whatever source of power the spirit is able to access from. I suppose you could say that part of what I'm interested in seeing is the mechanics between thought and action as it relates to the spirit located in the physical realm, though that's a long winded way of putting it. In any case, that should do nicely, insofar as I can see; I would largely just ask for demonstrations, perhaps a few attempts at alteration or replication, and perhaps later on some study into the nature of the binding between you and the spirit inside you." He spoke quickly but succinctly, but as he looked to the rain outside he couldn't help but shake his head and remember her last question.

"I really don't want to go out in that right now, if you don't mind, so by all means demonstrate away. If you can convince the others to help me out then it would be greatly appreciated, the more data I have and the more actively I can research it the closer I am." He wasn't quite sure how to thank her for not requiring payment, but he figured that mentioning it might have made him seem a bit more desperate than he already did; it wasn't that he didn't have money for the project, it was more that he didn't have MUCH spare money for it, when he foresaw the costs of the equipment and the modifications he would need to make for existing equipment to function, and frankly he wasn't looking foreword to finding out that he'd run dry.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:02 pm

Watching the man's reaction to the rain, I find myself wondering just what it was that made him seem so uncomfortable by an innocent little shower. It wasn't as if there were huge claps of thunder to shake the building or great bolts of lightning to disrupt the power or anything, this was just a night time downpour. I could have understood if it was a fierce booming thunderstorm, if that were the case I would be looking about the same as he did now, but there was nothing to fear in rain alone. Deciding that he and I were definitely not in a place where I could inquire about something so personal, despite the fact that he popped out of nowhere and asked me about my possession abilities in the middle of a public diner, I pushed his apparent unease to the back of my mind and decided to give him the demonstration I offered.

"Thank you for clarifying your intentions and interests. I mentioned the inability to communicate with the spirit mainly because that is the biggest thing about my entire situation that bothers me... other than the fact that I am now a freak of nature and how I came by the abilities of course. I think the others, the ones who can speak with their spirits, have an advantage over me. They seemed to embrace the abilities more easily than I did, they had guides through the process where I sort of just stumbled upon mine. In fact, the first few times they manifested were completely by accident. But enough talk for now... you want to see what I can do, right? The sugar canister was almost like moving air, it took little effort."

While mentioning the what I had done with the sugar canister, my eyes would stay focused on the man sitting on my couch but my still full water glass would rise from the table to my side and float across the room towards him. Since this telekinetic ability had been practiced at great length, the glass glided steadily, not spilling a drop or even disturbing the water level any more than being carried with a level hand would. If he did not reach out to pluck the glass from the air, which I would allow him to do, it would lower to the coffee table right in front of him. "Things like that are the basics. I don't know what all you want to see, aside from the sugar trick again, so I guess I'll just do what I can in here until you decide that you've seen enough."
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 pm

He raised an eyebrow as he watched her levitate the glass of water across the table, evenly and gently, though he didn't grasp it, instead following it down with his eyes. As soon as she activated her powers he stopped the spinning of the ring, his thumb pressing against it gently to stop the whirl as he watched the magic happen, literally. He noted that there were no hand-gestures as there often was, no seeming activity and effort, just movement of the glass. A minor phenomenon, but certainly something more than a human could accomplish. There was no visual display, which told him that whatever was going on likely couldn't be seen... his eyes were intent on the glass in front of him, even for a few moments after she set it down, and he said nothing for a bit as he thought. His current hypothesis involved something he termed nParticles, a sort of spiritual energy particle that brought some form of energy to create a reaction within particles in the physical realm at large, though obviously he couldn't test any of this without equipment.

As he finished up, he looked up to her and cocked his head to the side a bit, offering a slight chuckle and leaning back, the ring starting to spin again after a quick motion of his finger. "Interesting... I'll have to study it more in depth further, obviously, but such is the nature of things. I have a hard time believing you think yourself a freak of nature, considering the fact that you've basically been handed an amazing amount of power, but that's besides the point. What else can you do?"
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 pm

"No amount of power makes this entire situation any less freakish. I am very much a freak of nature, but gaining these abilities isn't exactly what makes me believe that. I used to think of these tricks as side effects of a traumatic experience. In my mind they were some crossover that happened by mistake, but through my research and forcing myself to remember the events of that night I have come to realize that the spirit was called to me through a ritual of sorts. I didn't want this power, I didn't want to lose my curtains or dining room table in the first days when the tricks were developing, but I have managed to embrace them, to see them as a gift that has made me an entirely new kind of freak."

Rising from the chair, I move to the window and stare out at the rain for a moment while contemplating which ability to show him next. Both of the major abilities would call for me to destroy something in the apartment given what they do. Now that there was money available to replace furniture with I was so concerned about this, but I was having trouble choosing which would be the target. Since I don't use the ottoman at all, it became the default choice.

Walking away from the window, I move to the ottoman and kick it into the middle of the floor so that destroying it wouldn't harm any of the other pieces. In a sort of one-two punch kind of thing I manifest the cyclone cutters to rip the fabric to shreds and spread it over the general area. Only letting the ability play for a moment, I glance to the man over my shoulder just before setting the shredded fabric on fire. I hoped it would be clear that they were two different tricks and that only the cyclone cutters required any sort of physical motions from me, given that I still had to form the ball of condensed chaos energy between my hands before directing it toward the intended target.

When I turn back to face the man, after dismissing the fire of course, my hair would be completely red instead of blonde with light cherry ends and my facial features would be altered enough to disguise my appearance. The illusionary bewitch would vanish before his eyes as I move to retake the seat I had abandoned.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 5:20 pm

He blinked as he watched her decide to devastate the poor footstool, wondering why she didn't choose, say, a glass, or perhaps something smaller and less expensive, but he soon stopped caring as he watched the effects of her powers. At least, he thought, they were explainable, or rather to use forces that were similar enough to real world forces as to warrant comparison. The first wouldn't be particularly hard to accomplish, in theory, simply charge the air well enough with current to create the tornado, compress it down into a small form and unleash it, perhaps with the energy still transferring inside it to create the slashing effect along the currents and give it that extra kick. The second one could be done by simply agitating the particles of the material enough to heat them up and cause fire, but it was the lack of impetus that surprised him, the lack of apparently anything outside of mental effort. Psychics, he was tempted to call it, but he doubted strongly if it came from internal power. An internal power source, however...

That made him curious. She did mention some kind of possession, something that indicates that she was drawing power from inside... but he would need to do more research to indicate anything more. He began to realize that with just his eyes there wasn't much he could really do, but at the same token... He breathed out and let the finger spin the ring slightly, the sound of the rain bringing him back to the world as he shook his head a bit, and in his thoughts he almost missed the shift in her appearance. He wondered idly if she was able to make a tangible shift in the way she looked or if it was only an image, and he asked her as such before leaning back and cocking his head to the side with a slightly lean smile on his face.

"Jealousy is a terrible thing." he noted as he watched her showcase her powers, attempting to discern them before realizing the only real way he would be able to would be with rather sensitive diagnostic equipment...probably dimensional work. This sort of thing didn't come cheap, and he would need to find some sort of sponsorship soon, but either way he was at least properly on track, it felt. "An impressive display and variety. I often find myself wondering quite how these things determine themselves, but I suppose I'll end up researching that too. I'll add it to the list." he said with a wave of his hand and a shrug. "Unimportant in the end, I suppose, but curious."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 6:03 pm

"It's a temporary illusion, though it isn't limited to my personal appearance. There are a few more tricks but those are the most useful ones." Aside from being able to fly of course, I wasn't entirely sure that I wanted to show him every trick I possessed. The flight and the walking through walls were my escape moves, if he turns out to be someone I might need to escape from at some point, I didn't want to risk giving him time to counter either of those abilities. Even inside my own mind it was obvious that this train of thought was stemming directly from serious trust issues, but with my limited science experience I had no idea what he was capable of or what he could come up with. For all I knew he could have seen everything I showed him before and I was just being taken for a ride.

Settling back into my seat, calling my glass of water back to my hand so I could take a drink, I watch the man quietly to see if he would ask to see anything else. Part of me wanted to ask him to share more about his research, like what his ultimate goal is and what all he has done up to this point to reach it; but I would give it at least another moment before broaching that subject. Time enough to find out if he would be satisfied with what I have shown so far or if he would expect more.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

He was silent for a moment as he thought about it, though her answer didn't really address the question of whether or not it was a physical creation or if it was some sort of illusion. Either way the effect wasn't necessarily unique such as it was difficult to replicate, and either way he certainly knew that he was correct in the thought that she had a decently powerful arsenal of special abilities under her belt. He fought down a slight envy for her talents with mild success, but either way he nodded a bit, mentally filing the information away to be recorded later. He had a rather good memory, and he rarely found himself needing to write things down for any sort of record other than posterity or for an official report of findings.

"Nothing, especially when dealing with this sort of thing, is useless, but perhaps you'd prefer to show me another time." He noted with an easy shrug as he watched her, crossing his arms over his chest, his thumb continuing to spin the ring in his hand before he smiled slightly. "If nothing else, even with this I'm relatively sure that I can find something or another. I'll need more subjects to cross-reference it with, obviously, but your help is appreciated in the matter. What is it that you do to activate the powers? Is there some mental ritual, or is it connected to a state of mind?" He offered, though it appeared he was done with calling out her powers for now.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:04 pm

"Activate them? Like every time I want to use them? Umm... I'm not sure, I just think it or visualize it and it happens. Once the power manifests I have to concentrate to control it but I don't do any sort of mental ritual every time or anything. Now in the beginning most of it happened by accident, or didn't happen when I wanted them to so I had to practice for a long time to make it possible to do them on command." Since the rain was still coming down heavily I wondered how the scientist and I would pass the time now that my demonstration hadn't last quite as long as it probably should have.

Pulling the thin blanket from the back of the chair, I wrap it around my legs to fight off the chill that had begun to settle over me. Reaching for my glass of water to take another sip, this time using only my hands to move the drink, I figure that now would be a good time to ask him about his research. "Since you're still rained in for the time being, why don't you tell me a little about yourself. Like how did you get in to this kind of thing? What have you done research wise so far? And what do you hope to accomplish with all of this?" I hoped that he wouldn't be offended by my asking what could potentially be very personal questions for him but I figured that he would recognize the genuine interest behind my inquiry.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Mental command seemed to process decently with his current theory, at least; perhaps there was simply a brain wave that interacted at the same level as a particle and allowed their shape via focus of thought. Or perhaps it was something completely different, who could really say, but when it all came down to it, if nothing else he could find out. He wondered briefly if he could track use of spiritual powers by tracking the brain waves of those who could use them, and he filed that back into his stash of theoretically useable ideas to be accessed when he had all the equipment he would need to actually do so. Which, he figured, would basically require something close to a full medical lab specially modified for the things he actually needed; this wouldn't, he guessed, happen for quite some time, and so he just kept them in his mind as theories and hypotheses, looking for the chance to explore them further. The woman's questions made him wake up from his analytical mind-frame, and as he watched her he could feel the rain start to get to him again, his finger shaking slightly as it spun the circlet on his finger and looked to her, his other arm closed across his waist to support his elbow with a long-fingered hand.

He chuckled slightly as he leaned back, allowing his shoulders to relax enough to shrug, finding them quite tense for whatever reason as the rain struck the ceiling; even through the wood, whether he could actually hear it or not, he swore he could hear the drumming like fingers down his spine. "There's not all that much to say about me, I hate to say it, I'm pretty boring when it comes down to it." Here came the tricky part, really; to lie or not to lie. He lied to pretty much everyone who asked him why he was researching spirits; nobody really wanted to know the answer, and nobody really wanted a sob story to kill the mood of the night, so explaining in full became complicated swiftly and tended to result in a bunch of awkward silence followed by excuses to leave either by him or whoever he was talking to. Still, not only was he feeling unusually candid, but she had disclosed a rather large part of her life that she was obviously anxious about, and whether or not she wanted to hear the whole story he should probably at least tell her something approaching the truth.

"I'm researching spirits largely because people are afraid of the things they don't understand, and I'd like very much to stop being afraid." He said it casually and slightly flippantly, hopefully avoiding further questions before he continued on with some of her other questions, hoping even his slight bit of disclosure would be washed away like so much grit in the damn rain that still wasn't letting up. "So far? Mostly hypotheses work and identifiable data; considering, possibly understandably, just how little funding a paranormal sciences division gets funded, it's not like I've got much to work with. No equipment, some grant money but not a lot..." he laughed slightly, though it seemed a bit calculated. "I might as well be groping around in the dark. Finding someone willing to cooperate has been the first real break I've actually found; the next will be seeing if I can calibrate some of the equipment in the physics of the medical room to detect anything meaningful; the shit in the pscience division isn't even worth mentioning." He added with a snort as he looked to her, motioning along. "Mind if I ask how you came across your powers? Strange thing to just pick up, and from the sounds of it you didn't always have them."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 6:35 pm

As he began talking I found myself listening intently for every word. I don't know that I was really shocked about my genuine interest in what this man was doing with his research, I had spent enough time wondering about what he was trying to prove to make that almost a given, but I was surprised that I was enjoying the conversation with yet another male stranger. I really need to get some female friends. On second thought, scratch that, women are too much trouble to keep around. His answer about being boring was one I couldn't fault him for, if I were asked the same question I knew my answer wouldn't be any more elaborate. As he continued on I was pleased to see him open up a bit more, while his words through most of it seemed preprogrammed, there was something beneath the words that confirmed my choice to help him out. Had there been nothing in his eyes or his mannerisms when he answered those questions I don't know that I would have made my self entirely available to him. What really got me was his reason behind the research, I knew as well as anyone what it is like to be scared of what you don't understand. If helping him with this research project and somehow talking my friends in to being tested as well, helped him find answers to even one or two of my personal questions, then it would be fully worth it.

Everything was going fine until he broke out that question he fired back at me. I knew it would come up at some point but I still hadn't decided how much I was going to tell him. I couldn't just rattle off 'I was raped by a demon' and expect him to take that without wanting to know more. As far as telling him the whole story goes that was a big fat no. No body had ever heard the whole truth and a big part of me wanted to keep it that way. No matter how many supernatural and hard to believe things one person has seen, that did not mean they would accept my story... plus I didn't know how to tell it, I wouldn't know where to begin.

To put off my answer for a little while longer, I decided to address the other things he said first. "You know, there are people in positions of power who just might be interested in your work, maybe even interested enough to fund your study or even give you a permanent position within their company. If that is something you are interested in I can keep my ears open and maybe even work you into a conversation or two to see what might be possible. Funding is crucial when dealing with any sort of research. Gathering information can only take you so far. The tests, the substantial evidence, that is what gets your work out there where it can enrich lives. I think this work could open people's eyes and make our world a better place some time in the future, but only if you get the support that you need to make that happen. No matter your reason for initially pursuing it, your work is vital, at least to me." Here comes the hard part... preceded by a few calming breaths so I don't hyperventilate before getting it all out. Wooosa? "While I'm at it, I guess I should admit that I agree wholeheartedly with your reason. People do fear what they don't understand... and you aren't the only one who would like to stop being afraid."

At this point I have to toss the blanket aside and get to my feet. I can't tell him the truth, or at least part of it, if I am sitting there facing him. With my back turned to him while I pace the room trying like hell to find something to focus on, I force the words out on my wavering voice. "Let's just say that my childhood was ripped apart by a pair of supernatural entities. One from the side of good and one from the depths of hell. They are present, somehow, in every memory of my life. Until the night of my eighteenth birthday I was a normal girl. That night I had to choose a side, but I didn't know that until the choice was made. That choice came with perks and major downsides. The perks were the abilities I showed you tonight, the downsides are a subject I am not exactly comfortable discussing with you at this point. Please don't take offense to that, I don't like to talk about that with anyone. What I can tell you about how the powers came to be is that there was a ritual involved. From what I gathered in my own measly research, the ritual was used to call the possessing spirit to the willing vessel, or in this case, call it to me."

That was pretty much all I could think of that would be safe to tell him tonight, given that it was the first night we'd known each other. Without returning to my seat, or even slowing the pace of my steps, I fall silent and think back on the first meetings with Saito, Psyre, and Lance. Had I opened up this much with them? Somehow it began to feel like I was more willing to confide in others at the beginning than I was after they found permanent places in my life. That seemed backward and worried me quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Listening to what she said, he couldn't help but allow a wry smile that didn't touch his eyes to cross his face. It looked as though he'd run into the perfect example of everything he felt was wrong with the world of spirits and the world of humans; after all, what justice was there in the events that had happened? What repercussions for the spirits that came in and did whatever it was that they did to her? How could she have known, let alone stopped them? There was nothing, partly because no one had looked for a solution to the problem properly, partly because no one was properly informed about the problem, and partly because of the nature of the spirits themselves. Beings with powers far beyond what is capable of a normal person, without a central identity, without nationality, without anything but personal whims to hold them to?

He let out a slight chuckle as he looked to her, the ring on his finger spinning in the light. He certainly knew what it was like to have your life so ruined, though he wasn't sure if his issues went quite as deep as hers. Then again, he thought, he was scared of a bloody shower. That certainly ought to say something in and of itself. "I wonder," he asked idly, rhetorically, "if I can think of a time that spirits have every done good for humanity as a whole? I mean spirits in the broader sense, because half the problem is that you can't look at an individual example because each demon or spirit or whatever is different, from their whims to their appearance to their strengths and powers. But look what they do to us regularly; news cover stories to keep the public from realizing that there are killers, thieves, pranksters, whatever that they haven't a hope of stopping currently? Hell, that most of them can't even see?"

"Long term," he pointed out, perhaps a bit riskily due to the spirit currently inside her, but he felt he at least owed her a bit of the truth given how much she was helping him (he didn't pride himself on being a good guy, but he did at least think that he wasn't quite an amoral sinkhole yet), "that's really what I want to do. I want to have people not only know about spirits, but understand them, be on par with them; if there was a burglar who could walk through walls, you'd develop walls you couldn't walk through, wouldn't you? Same thing." He pointed out with a shrug before laughing a bit. "The rules of disclosure; the less you have invested in someone, the more you'll talk to them, and the more you talk, the more they talk. Psychology at it's finest."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 5:32 pm

When the man broke the silence I had let settle in the air, I wasn't too sure how I felt about what he was saying. He had a point to everything that came from his mouth, and while I could see the validity of those points, I still had a personal view that differed slightly. When it came to what good these spirits or demons had done for humanity I didn't have an answer... In my personal experience the demon hadn't done anything good for me. In one small way I could have probably seen the abilities as a good thing but considering what led to them, not to mention the fact that the choice I made was not an informed one, that overshadowed any good I could find. When I was younger, before the choice was made, there had been an entity of good present at every turn but they never stepped forward to try and put a stop to the demon's evil. The good being just stood by and watched as the demon sliced my flesh and spilled my blood, the only reactions I ever got from them were looks of pity or sad head shakes. Even the night the demon killed my father, the good being stood silently by and just watched the events unfold. Looking back on everything I could not come up with one single example of anything the good being ever said or did that was actually good. To me there wasn't even a point to them being there. If it was supposed to be to keep some semblance of balance, then they failed miserably.

Once the man got to his example of a thief walking through walls, and subsequently creating walls that can't be walked through, I felt my pulse spike a bit. I could see where he was coming from with that particular example but my view on that ability was in direct opposition. I walked through walls as a means of escape from mortal peril. Were I not a morally sound individual... or at least a semi decent person... I might use the transcendence to commit crimes. If someone were to create walls that I could not walk through I think I would freak out, that for me would be like a cage and I don't do well with feeling caged in. Since I hadn't shown him that particular ability just yet, I decided to keep my mouth as far as that goes for now.

What I could comment on now was his long term hope of informing the general public about what is lurking out there. "I agree with you there. There should be more information available about the spirits and demons that live and play among us. Had there been public knowledge or even a certain place to go to have these sorts of questions answered, aside from a religious institution of course, then my entire life would have certainly turned out differently. The only answers she ever got came from some fat old priest and all he could tell her was that I might be the spawn of the devil. You can imagine how my mother took that suggestion. I wish someone had invented walls that demons couldn't penetrate when I was a kid, that could have saved a lot of trouble for my family and the nuns. Though seeing the reaction of the nuns when they actually caught sight of my supernatural visitors was priceless."

Having calmed myself enough to stop pacing, I return to my seat and watch the man continue spinning the ring he wore. It was mildly irritating after a while but I came with my own annoying quirks too. While I was bothered by the ring spinning, the obvious discomfort about the rain really had me curious. Maybe his comment on psychology would hold true for talking about his own issues. "The rain seems to be letting up. You should be able to breathe normally now. Can I ask what it is about the rain that makes you so uncomfortable?"
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:21 pm

As he listened to her, he began to get the impression that he had assumed he would run into; he could tell by the way she held herself and the way she was responding that he was coming dangerously close to threatening her. Part of him, perhaps a more bitter, vicious part of him, wanted to say good; let her start to feel the pressure. No matter how much she might believe she used her powers, he had a hard time believing she used them for anything but selfish gains. Or rather, he had a hard time believing she really put them to use at all; squandered, then, because she wanted to maintain the semblance of a normal life when she could be standing at the forefront of a vanguard dedicated to protecting those who might be like her in the world. The more rational part of him knew that of course she felt threatened, and regardless of how she used her powers he wasn't attempting to make her feel the villain. At the same time, she should be well aware of the dangers that came with her powers, and the way they could so easily be misused in hands that weren't quite as passive as hers. If it came down to choosing between the comfort of those with spirits or the safety of those without, he knew well enough which he would choose.

And then came the question as to quite why he was afraid of the rain. He didn't like to admit it; it was weak, and it was foolish, and he fancied himself above such inadequacies and childhood horrors. Still, remembering how he had run through the rain, the way it slid around him, the sound it made as it struck the roof of his house, the ground, the forest... he tried to stifle a shudder and couldn't quite at the thought of it before he forced a laugh at his own inadequacy. The trick became where to lie, or how much to omit; people didn't really want to hear the truth, and certainly his story wasn't unique or even particularly dramatic, all things considered. Certainly it hadn't hounded his entire childhood, and he well knew the stories that were told by the other children in the foster program before his father gathered him. Demons in the night, incidents that couldn't possibly be right explained away by some law enforcement... he was just another statistic, ignored for it's marginality. Still, he owed her some kind of answer, though he decided he would make it at least close enough to the truth to offer something legitimate, she'd earned at least that much for putting up with him this long and for attempting to help him, though he wondered if she still would.

"Isn't it curious, how so many people can have so many pasts afflicted by spirits, and nobody but themselves and the few people they pray will believe them ever hear about it?" He offered with another slight chuckle before he shrugged. "In any case, my mother was a medium that I thought for years was a fraud; apparently she wasn't quite as fraudulent as I thought, or coincidence really is ruled by irony. Either way, she was possessed by something for real this time that apparently enjoyed games a little too much, and rain hasn't quite been the same for me since." he offered with a shrug. "Water in general, really; I don't go in more than my waist if I can help it. I'm not a particularly strong person; it's about all I can stand to wash myself in the shower." He noted almost sardonically, personally quite disgusted with the way he carried on. He should be better than that, but every time he tried he could barely breath. Coward, yes, but he didn't quite know how not to be one as he looked to the window. "Shall I take that as my queue to leave you to the rest of your night?" he offered, reaching foreword to drain the glass in front of him. He wondered if she knew he wasn't telling her the whole story, but he felt slightly vindicated in knowing that she obviously didn't tell the same to him, though it was unlikely he would have just rattled it off to her regardless. He drained the glass and set it back down, and though he wouldn't actually be going anywhere until the rain wasn't more than a drizzle, he at least had the courtesy, he felt, to offer to do it somewhere that wasn't her house.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:02 pm

"You don't have to leave until you are ready. I'm sorry you and your mother suffered at the hands of a spirit. It isn't fair that they have such control over us whenever they feel like it, that we have no way of fighting them off or protecting ourselves from their sick games. Nor is it fair that the fears they create linger with us for years after they are gone." With the major bases covered as far as the business part of our conversation goes and the personal stuff having reached the evening's limit, I wasn't sure what else we should talk about or do to pass the time, but I would never dream of sending him away while his fear was still active outside. The thought to alter the scene outside of the windows into one less wet had run through my mind but in the end that wouldn't really help him. It may alleviate some of his discomfort for a short time but it would do nothing to help him deal with the true fear behind it, only facing it and learning to live with it could do that.

"So, since I am not kicking you out of the apartment just yet, what should we do now? Are there any other things you would like to talk about? Any more questions you have for me?"
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:11 pm

"None that can really be answered without a lab." he noted with a shrug as he leaned back, accepting her hospitality for the moment while keeping an eye on the window before he chuckled a bit. "Normally once business is done the drinks come out and what to do tends to solve itself through the course of the evening, but that's besides the point. I suppose I should probably ask who this employer that might be interested in funding me is, but considering that it's not even a sure thing, that's kind of a whenever thing. Do you often have random guys over to your apartment, or just the ones that burst in on dinner and demand a performance of supernatural parlor tricks?" He offered, forcing his thumb onto the ring to prevent it from spinning, the silver band coming to a halt on his finger as he looked to her with a raised eyebrow. "Actually I do have a question; what do you do to relax?" About now would probably be the point where he would start hitting on her, normally, but considering the situation he decided against that and instead moved towards more relatively neutral topics, though he actually was quite curious what she did to unwind; she had the look about her that suggested she was a bit high strung about things, and he had a hard time actually imagining her unwinding.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:38 am

At the mention of drinks coming out, I realize that his water glass had just been emptied and rise to my feet to grab it. "Would you like something else to drink? If you are interested in something stronger than water I can see what I have." Still standing but not yet moving for the kitchen, I go on to take care of the other things mentioned. "I don't want to get your hopes up about my employer, I can mention your work to him but I can't guarantee that he will be interested enough. I have his ear, but I don't decide for him. Until I figure out how he feels about the idea, I would prefer to keep his identity under wraps. And no, I am not in the habit of having guys over... in fact, you are the first guy I've had over since moving in. That's pretty bad, I haven't even had my b... umm... I'm not sure what to call him, but I haven't had him over here yet." At the mention of Saito, and the awkwardness of not knowing how to classify him, my face turns bright red and I could feel the tips of my ears begin to burn. Turning to head for the kitchen, deciding that not facing him at the moment would be easier than standing there waiting for his drink order, I answer the last question he had asked. "The ways I relax are pretty boring. I don't do anything fun, mainly I curl up there on the couch and watch movies or turn on some music to listen to while reading a book. Lately I haven't had much time for either of those my relaxation ritual has become a bubble bath before bed." My eyes fall on the clock just as I say this last part and cause me to shake my head slightly. "Hmm... that won't be happening tonight though. So, what would you like to drink?" I call from the kitchen where I stand before my depressingly wide variety of adult beverages. "I have just about everything as long as you don't mind the lower shelf versions."
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 1:31 pm

"Name a college student that isn't used to the low shelf version of a drink and I'll eat my headphones." he noted dryly before shaking his head, a bit of a grin on his features as he watched the tips of her ears blush. It would seem she had some kind of relations going on, and though he couldn't picture him he had the image of some corporate lackey somewhere slaving away over a paper stack somewhere, though he attempted at least to give her the benefit of better taste. "Don't worry about it; I don't drink alone, but if you're having some as well then vodka's my preference." Anything clear really would do, but he'd gathered a taste for vodka while living with his father, who practically swam in the stuff, having been known to gargle with it before having a shot at breakfast to wake him up. The man was a functioning alcoholic, but as he'd learned, it seemed as though everyone had their vices. He realized, however, that he was probably keeping her from something along the lines of sleep, and as such he got to his feet and made his way after her, tapping her on the shoulder to get her attention.

"How about we put off the drinks until another time? Have your bath, get some rest, and I'll see you around later. The rain's pretty much gone, I'll be fine." He noted. There was an odd quality in his voice, it didn't seem particularly expressive almost no matter what he said, remaining in a sort of dry, almost sardonic tone, and paired with a relatively emotionless face it gave him a tone of aloofness that was perhaps intentional and perhaps not. Either way, he was at least trying to foster something along the lines of good relations, and he figured she probably wouldn't hold it against him.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 11:25 pm

He had a point there I guess, with the mention of college students and low shelf alcohol. I didn't pretend to know much about students of higher learning having never been lucky enough to join their ranks, but I should have considered the tight money issue would affect liquor purchases as well as food. I had just finished bending down to grab the vodka from the lower cabinet when I felt the tap on my shoulder. I was ready to pour two glasses of gut rot when I turned to see why he had followed me into the kitchen. I am ashamed to admit that the first thought crossing my mind was that I had been wrong all along and now would be the time for the axe murdering to begin. After he spoke I felt a wave of relief wash over me just before my face fell slightly. Truth be told I had been enjoying his company, while I preferred Saito's, this man's was a nice addition to the rotation.
Nodding to him with a smile forced out to cover any disappointment I might have shown, I push the cabinet closed with my knee and lean back against the counter. "Are you sure? I don't want you to leave before you are comfortable. The bath can wait until tomorrow night, please don't think that my mentioning it was a cue for you to leave. I did not intend for it to sound that way." I felt bad that he could have read that into what I had said, when it came to playing hostess I pretty much sucked.
Back to top Go down
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
aѕceпxion

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Updated Alexis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dinner Interruption   Dinner Interruption Empty

Back to top Go down

Dinner Interruption
Page 1 of 1