Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H2H Content Site ( Mirror ) - New Content Added 11/22!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

[Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kiun
Intern
Kiun

Male
Number of posts : 498
Rep! : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-04

[Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood Empty
PostSubject: [Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood   [Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 am

Epic: Start
The Oracle of Blood
Phase 1: Departure

Caotang

Amidst the roads atop which the graceful wind carried the signature musky, grungy scent of Caotang, general peace and happiness was blooming as rapidly as the entire village’s crop. After the fixing of the city’s magic well, a mood of sheer joy seemed to sweep through the streets like a refreshing wave of cool air and sea water on a particularly heated day at the beach. While the town was generally jolly anyway, it seemed only amplified by the good news. Perhaps that was the magic behind the well?
However, as an exception must always exist to prove the rule, there was one place where ‘happiness’ was not the real word to describe the situation. Unfortunately for me, it was the very smithy at which I had found work for four continuous years now. While there was nothing… ‘wrong’, per say, it was just something of an awkward situation. Standing two my side were two strong, well-muscled young men; my co-workers. Having returned from their business delivering goods in Saichuushigai, they had been allotted some time off before their next assignments. On this day, though, they were to be reassigned; cast away; sent off once again. I had known this, and it was nothing that concerned me, but then, why was I here?”
“—nd that case over there, as well. This shouldn’t take any more than a month’s time; not two weeks, even, but you’ll have a month. I want to make sure you don’t rush and screw anything up, and you can think of it as an extension of this vacation, since it was so short.” The voice’s origin is my master, standing in front doling out orders to the two official shop couriers. Finishing with them, for the moment, at least, his gaze falls upon my fragile shoulders. It was a common misconception that when his eyes looked as they did, he was angry. No, that was just how he appeared when serious, so I could tell this wasn’t some simple matter. “Now, Hachirou… it’s normal to wonder why I brought you here, and I apologize for not telling you sooner. I was debating it for some time, and it was only decided upon fully at the last second. I don’t want you to think that I put it off for so long because you don’t matter, as it’s the opposite: I took so long to decide because I’m truly going to be worried about you.” While my master’s worry is always flattering, I am none too excited to hear that he ‘will be worried about me.’ Addressing me in such a sense can only put fear in my heart. “I’ll get straight to the point: these two are going to be making a delivery to Tara Mura. Afterwards, they will be working as delivery boys for an old apprentice of mine for a short time before returning here. You are to accompany them. Your work will be no different than how it is here, so it won’t be anything you’re unaccustomed to. Just help with their deliveries and do so as quickly as possible. Once all of our wares are sold and they are to work under my old student, you will have free reign as to do what you wish. But, until then, you must listen completely to them as if they were me: respect them as you do me; as if they were your elder brethren.” I would always, always pay my master the utmost respect, and listen intently to every word he said, were it possible to do so. In such a case as this, however, it was not to be. Everything after ‘you’ll accompany them to Tara Mura’ went in one ear and out the other, barely registering slightly if registering at all. I could tell already why my master was doing this: he knew traveling was one of my greatest interests in this world, but to send me as far away as Tara Mura my first time? And without anyone I knew to rely on? Well, while it’s true I knew the two men I would be working with, I did not truly know them from more than just passing conversations, since they were hardly ever at the shop. And here, with no prior mention or hint, I was told that they were to be my only close companions for the next month? But what about my- “I’ve already contacted your father. It was difficult to reach him, as I’m sure you know, but he has sent his blessings. He’s even gone as far as to say he’s… excited for you.” Father? Excited for me? While I never doubted that he loved me with all of his heart and that he truly cared for me, we were so different that it was hard to believe he could truly be excited over anything I would be doing. Perhaps it’s due to the fact that this could be easily made out as a man’s rite of passage. Did he hope this would ignite a fiery spark within my heart that would make me be someone like him? While I wouldn’t be against becoming more and more like him, I truly doubted it was possible. He was a man of grand proportions, and the only thing grand about me was the blood that flowed through me. Something, I must add, that I was truly grateful for, as without it, who knows how extra pathetic I might be?
There is no argument from me, as I pause for some time to let it all sink in. My master dismisses the men to their work, loading up the carriages with the boxes of line and hooks, cutlery blades and dining instruments; miscellaneous items that would sell in the small fishing-type village that Tara Mura embodies. The soft sounds of heavy lifting somewhat coaxes me out of my silence, as I look up to see my master patiently awaiting my reaction. It is simple, and concise. I do not argue; I do not question. I do as I’m told, as I have full faith in my master, even if I do not have faith in the faith he places within me. While short, my answer is the only one: this was not multiple choice. In the end, it was not even an answer, because it wasn’t even a question. If it was my master’s will, I would gladly do it without thought. “Yes, sir.”

Phase 1 End
Back to top Go down
Kiun
Intern
Kiun

Male
Number of posts : 498
Rep! : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-04

[Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood   [Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 pm

Phase 2: Voyage

The roadway out of Caotang was laden with fruit trees, ripe to be picked off the branch and suckled on. Sweet, tangy smells followed our carriage and all of the crops and flowers waffed in the cool breeze. Honestly, it felt awkward to smell only good smells, as the absence of the usual sweat of man and smog from the smithy plaguing the air made quite a difference in the general ambience. Even if we were still technically in Caotang, more accurately so on the outskirts where some of the less wealthy farmers (if there truly is such a thing) are forced to make their livings. I would often deliver to the elderly around here as they rarely could make the trip to the shop on their own due to the large distance. But despite being here, I couldn’t shake the oddness within my gut. It was nerves, surely, but did I really have anything to worry about? My master had trusted me with this, and he was generally one with a good eye for character, though I do believe he put too much faith in me. Perhaps that was why? Did I feel so uneasy due to wanting to live up to his expectations? Well, it certainly wouldn’t be the first time.
Soon enough, however, we are completely and unarguably out of the village. I had only left its boundaries a handful of times with my father and/or grandfather, but it didn’t seem as eerie or offputting as I had imagined. Was I really just overreacting? Or, more likely, was it because there was simply no one around that I needed to interact with? I was unaccustomed to being by myself that much, but it was somewhat… comforting. Not quite exhilarating, but still calming to my restless self. The two men who did share my company, however, were sharing friendly banter that I’m sure they’re used to after so much travel. I wondered if I would ever become like them? Would I one day become a courier of goods? Maybe even a merchant! That would be exciting, though I would need to get over my fear of leaving Caotang. Travelling interested me, for sure, as there were so many amazing places to see, fascinating people to meet, and thrilling stories to hear (from the people who actually experienced them, as opposed to my father’s bedtime retellings.), but if I was to feel like this every time, it was nothing more than a mere pipedream. Well, if that’s the case, then I’ll have to make sure I get over it! I’ll have to shock myself into liking it! I’ll go out and find something scary, confront it, and come out unscathed. That’ll subconsciously teach me that travelling isn’t something I should worry my little heart over and prove to myself I’m perfectly capable of handling myself in such a situation, right? W-well, as long as it isn’t too scary, that is. And dangerous, too. I need to make sure that whatever danger I decide to get myself into, it isn’t life-threatening. Being courageous and unafraid means nothing if I’m dead! A-and I really don’t want to die, either! Though I’m sure it’d be a burden off master’s shoulders not having to worry about me anymore, I’d like to think he’d be a little saddened, which is something that I don’t want to put him through. And then there’s my family… Ah! I’m scaring myself just thinking about it!! This is pathetic! Absurd! This is…
“Hachirou! Are you alive back there?” Comes the joking voice of the bearded of the two. The both of them turn from watching the road to peek back at me. Were they worried since I was, technically speaking, a ‘newbie’ at this? All I answer with is a short nod, unable to bring myself to speak outwardly for some reason. Probably my inner tirade fighting against me. They share a glance before one looks back the road, and the bearded one once more gazes my way. “Well, we’ll be stopping for the night soon.” He says this and points behind himself, off to the sun in the distance. It wasn’t even touching the horizon yet, so I can only assume the face I made in response was one of confusion. Apparently, that was what he took it to mean as well, so he would go on to answer my obvious question. “We need to make sure we’ve at least found a spot to stop and rest for the night before the sunset even begins. By the time it’s halfway down, we should have everything spread out and ready for our night’s rest, and when it’s gone down completely, everything should be secured and our bellies should be filled. We’ll need to get up rather early tomorrow, as we plan to make it there by early noon time.”
Summing up what strength I have, I managed to whimper a quiet, “How long have we been travelling for?” To which the other man answers with a short pause, and then an answer of “Roughly five and a half hours now. We had to leave a little late, thanks to you.” I know he means no harm in it, and the way it’s said is matter-of-factly, as if not to insult me, but it still stings a bit. It was true, though, since I still had deliveries to make, and I was rather slow and sloppy in preparing myself for the trip. To my own defense, though, it was not like I had much time to prepare. “We’ll be waking around four tomorrow morn’, and leaving about an hour after that once we’ve cleaned everything up. It’ll take another eight hours travel time nonstop to get there when we want, but if we do so, we should finish what we need to for the first day shortly before nightfall.” He pauses again. “Actually, it’ll be about this time tomorrow, so you’ll have time to do whatever you want then.” Whatever I want? Like… scaring myself into having enough courage to travel, perhaps? Well, nighttime was the perfect chance for that, so I decide it isn’t a bad thing, and simply wait for the time to come to sleep for the night.
Once the carriage has finally halted its passage for the night, I assist in setting everything up, and to everyone’s surprise – including my own – I am a rather large help. The non-bearded one remarks that they probably could have gone an extra quarter hour’s distance thanks to my added speed, and a light tinge of embarrassment streaks its way across my face. Without really answering or patting my back any more than that, I simply sit down and share a short meal with my compatriots, watch the remaining sunfall in peace, and head in to sleep. I’m sure nightmares are to follow, as I worry over every little thing that could happen tomorrow, when I, for some crazed reason, literally go looking for trouble, but I do not care at the moment. Perhaps that alone will be enough to scare me into liking travel? Then I would not need to go looking for trouble after all! Well, that idea makes no sense, but it would still be lovely were it to happen. It’s unfortunate, though, but I truly doubt it to be the case. The gods, with their ‘infinite wisdom’, likely have something more life-threateningly troublesome for me to go through.
I’ll just have to consider it a trial on the path to manhood. That was always my father’s advice, anyway…
Phase 2 End

1,266 [2,352]
Back to top Go down

[Hachirou] Epic: The Oracle of Blood
Page 1 of 1