Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H2H Content Site ( Mirror ) - New Content Added 11/22!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Outrun the Darkness

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female
Number of posts : 3123
Rep! : 257
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Outrun the Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:54 pm

It had been a very long day at work, starting with having to explain my reasons for not returning from my lunch break the day before. I figured my department head would let me go because of the infraction, but when he nodded his head as my story ended, he waved a hand and told me to go on down to the file room since I had a lot to catch up on. I'd decided to go with the truth, leaving out the more intimate parts of the day, but being truthful when it came to admitting that I blew off work to help an injured and hungry man. I guess some corporate pigs really do have hearts deep in those tie clad chests. With the normal workload from today added to all the stuff I had to catch up on from yesterday afternoon, I didn't get out of the basement until the sun was already dipping below the skyline. I'm not afraid of the dark, well not the dark itself, but I will confess that walking home through this side of town after dusk fills my heart with panic. Part of the reason I took this crappy basement dwelling menial job is so that I would be well on my way home before the sun set. It would take me quite a while to reach my apartment leaving so late tonight. The bus I normally caught to carry me most of the distance stopped running an hour ago so it would be a long walk. Thankfully I had thought to wear the more comfortable flats beneath my ebony skirted outfit, there was no way I could make this walk in the heels I'd worn yesterday. The downside to this ensemble was that I didn't have a jacket to match so I my top half was only protected by a thin satin long sleeved blouse. Slipping the strap of my purse over my head so that it was secured crossing my chest from shoulder to waist, I run a hand through my cherry vanilla, baby fine hair and start the hike across the Lower Commons.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

Number of posts : 157
Rep! : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 pm

"This is insane-"
You can do it.
"I'm going to die, don't you get that, and whatever the fuck you are-"
You'll die if you just stand there.

Which was, unfortunately, something close to the truth as he heard the heavy roar from behind him, the thick breathing of the spirit beast on his trail. He didn't know why it was after him, or what it wanted, but he knew that he didn't want to have to deal with the damn thing right about now, and if everything worked out...

There was just the matter of the 50 foot drop below him.

"This is fucking-" he started, swearing before he ran out of time and saw the long beast, half lion, half centipede, half something else entirely whirl around the corner, a thousand legs making their way across rooftop, punching holes in the concrete. It's head roared to him, mouth opening to reveal a whirling gullet of teeth that seemed to spark and grind past the fangs of the lion as it started charging on mismatched legs. He watched it come at him, breathing out quietly as he stepped back towards the edge.

You're the one who won't just suck it up and fight the thing.

"Not the time." he whispered before it was too late to choose anything else, a pair of scything mandible extending from the mouth and lashing out to try and devour him as he leapt backwards, pushing off the concrete hard enough to dent it and sending himself careening down several stories, whirling through the air and realizing with growing panic that he had no idea what was supposed to happen now.

"I thought you said I could do this!"
Anyone can fall.

He swore and ran out of time, punching his fist into the wall beside him and feeling the tug of his momentum stop, his body whirling around about five feet from the ground. The brickwork was shoddy enough that his fist passed through, and though the jerk was intense his body was so much more resilient than it had been before. He pushed off from the wall and skidded to the ground below it only to look up to the sky and see the massive body of the beast extending out into the air, searching for him, hunting for him before it's head rotated down. The chitinous body flexed, needle-like legs uncurling beneath it to reveal the shaggy brown mane as it roared and started racing down the building after him.

"Oh come on..." he growled as he whirled and pushed off the ground, shooting foreword faster then anyone really should be able to run as he moved at full speed for the first time, tearing across the ground and feeling a bizarre thrill rise in his chest.
That would be the feeling you get when you stop holding yourself back, you know.
"Not the time..." he muttered as he raced down the street.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 pm

So far, so good. I had made it approximately six blocks without any incident and was beginning to believe in the possibility of making it home safe and sound. Since my apprehension was fading slowly, I figured cutting through an alley to avoid passing the liquor store that had already been robbed a few times this month would be an fairly safe idea. It was steadily growing darker, but there was just enough light to guide my path through the alley. I wanted to hurry home, night was when the side effects had a tendency to happen and the last thing I wanted was to cause a mishap or risk someone witnessing my freakish abilities. About halfway through the narrow, dimly lit passage I felt the fear creep back into full swing and clench at my heart. Since there was no one close by I began to jog the rest of the way keeping my eyes focused on the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. An animalistic roar fills the air, which only added to my current state of panic and inspired my short legs to push themselves beyond normal speed. The jog had become a thing of the past, and even though I was almost certain that the roar was only my imagination running on fear, I wasn't inclined to slow down just yet. Icy fingers dug deeper into my heart while shards of glass shred my lungs, I was almost out of the alley and then I would be safe. At least that's what I kept telling myself with every beat of my steps pounding the asphalt. Finally the brick walls rising on either side of me disappeared as I came out from between the buildings at a dead run. I only had a split second to wonder how I was going to stop myself before ending up in the middle of the street when I felt the impact. It wasn't quite hard enough to have been a car or some other vehicle but it was still harder than anything else I'd been hit by in my short 18 years. All the air was forced from my lungs with a loud whoosh before my body started tumbling sideways. The concrete was rising fast, or I was falling that fast, either way I knew this was about to hurt.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 9:18 pm

"Shit!"

The impact didn't necessarily do all that much to hurt Saito, but it certainly spun him slightly and he blinked as he watched the girl who'd rushed so haphazardly out of the alleyway start falling to the ground. There was a flicker before his arm was around her shoulders, stronger then it had any right to be before he slid his other arm beneath her knees without bothering to ask whether or not he should, continuing on running as he looked behind him and saw the beast continuing on, it's eyes snapping to the pair of them as it let out another shriek, hurtling after them. He was managing to keep his distance, but he wasn't sure quite how long he could pull it, especially someone else in tow.
Why didn't you just leave her, if you're so intent on running?
He ignored the mocking thought and sprinted to the end of the block before he even really looked to the girl. She was light in his arms, almost impossibly so, and he spun at the edge of the street and skidded to a halt on the concrete, looking to the monster and setting her down before pushing her, gently so as to knock her over, and looking back to it.
What, so a little girl's gets herself caught up and suddenly you're head over heels about fighting the thing? Pussy.
"Shut UP." he muttered, shaking his head before he motioned to her quickly, waving her back. "Go on, get! You want to get eaten?" He snapped to her before he started foreword, looking back to it and starting to pant a bit as his eyes began to mirror over, the adrenaline rushing through his veins making the world around him seem to throb. "Yeah, yeah, nice and happy now, aren't you fucker..." he muttered quietly under his breath to the spirit flowing through his body as he started towards the beast that raced towards him.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 9:58 pm

After the first glimpse of the fast approaching concrete I must have closed my eyes to wait for the pain. When the expected crash never came, instead being replaced by arms, incredibly strong arms that held me easily as if I weighed nothing more than a feather, I was too shocked to immediately react. Regaining control over my own eyes, I lift them to look at the face belonging to the arms. Why is it that every damn time I'm in danger of making a fool of myself, an attractive male just happens to be there? Fate could be so cruel sometimes. As we come up on the end of the block I wonder why the man is running. I had been scared and let my imagination play tricks on me, but why would a strong guy like this need to run? Right on cue there comes an answer to my question in the form of being set down and pushed away. The man muttered for someone to shut up but I hadn't even made a sound yet so I was getting more confused by the moment. Just when I was about to defend myself against his rudeness, he speaks again asking if I want to be eaten. I've gotten a few offers in my day but none had ever come immediately after a 'shut up' and a 'go on, get' so I was beginning to think this man either needed medication or needed to lay off of it.

It was about that time that I actually turned my head and looked back the way he had just carried me. "Oh! That thing would eat me. Gotcha!" Well, now that I was all caught up with the situation I was free to leave, right? Yeah, sure, like I can walk away from a hot guy in danger, hell I couldn't even walk away from a semi stinky homeless guy yesterday. Maybe those side effects are good for something other than destroying my home furnishings. I guess I was about to find out.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 pm

The beast raced towards him, the distance between them slowly closing as he felt his nails start to harden into claws, his teeth sharpening to fangs in his mouth as he looked to it and cracked his neck, starting to move foreword faster. The space between them was getting smaller and smaller, and as he looked to it he realized that he was waiting for the fight the whole time, had been longing for it, was just waiting for a chance to test himself... and he felt his lips spreading in a grin as he watched the monster approach.

Twenty feet. He could see the blades of the beast's mandibles, dripping as they extended from it's maw, teeth wide and snarling and gleaming in the light. The ground shook beneath him, it's bulk strewn across the ground.

Fifteen. In the space of a second it was closing the distance, rushing at him, but it was in his area now, on his turf. He felt himself relax, felt himself let go and stop caring and start living in the moment without worrying what would come. He was filled with a confidence of motion and action, and he wondered if this is why his spirit friend seemed to want him to relax. It did feel pretty damn good.

Ten feet. He could smell it's breath, rank and wet, as it barreled towards him, and he cracked his neck and set his stance.

"Come on, motherfucker, show me a good time." His grin was wide, and suddenly he stopped being him. There wasn't a barrier anymore, between the stranger and himself, and he knew it. As he moved his limbs seemed to leave a trailing afterimage, his hands spreading as the beast approached before all of a sudden there were two of him, one in front of the beast and one falling down through the air towards it, one leg raised in a heel drop for it's back. He wasn't quite sure how he did it, just that it felt natural, felt normal, as though he'd thrown a punch or jumped, and as the beast slid through the air, he let out a roar of laughter at the ease of it as he slammed his foot down into it's back, feeling the cracking of the chitin under it as it let out a long, roaring howl of pain.

It's head snapped back, lashing for him with a mandible, but he was in front of it again, standing twenty feet away and bouncing slightly before he cocked his head and looked to the girl. "Still here, huh?" he chuckled, the tone of his voice rather different then before. "Funny, I hadn't thought you the type."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Hmm. This attractive man had some special side effects of his own, maybe he wasn't in as much danger as she'd first thought. Since the idea of testing her side effects had entered her mind, she was no longer focused on the man, now she had some things to find out for and about herself. His fancy footwork seems to hurt the... what would you call something like that? ... anyway, the drop kick appeared to hurt it so maybe she could do as much damage to it as she'd been able to do to her precious curtains. Or would the fate of her dining room table be a better idea? Either one she chose would tell her what she needed to know.

Since the vortex ball thingy had manifested more times than the fire, I settled on it for this experiment. I had never called them out or tried to purposefully use them, they always destroyed my apartment unexpectedly. Concentrating on what I had seen of the vortex ball, I attempted to bring the image in my mind into the world of reality, more specifically the space between my outstretched hands.

Even before I saw it appear, I could feel the similar lightheaded sensation that accompanied the other visits. When the spinning ball of energy finally materialized in its correct place, I did the only thing I could think of. I threw it at the monster and waited for it to rip at him like it had my interior decorations. I barely registered the voice of the man who'd swept me up and carried me to this point, I was waiting to see if those irritating side effects were of any use at all.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 pm

He blinked as he watched the girl put her hands together and create within them some kind of swirling void, the mass of it tearing everything this way and that before she threw it. She looked like she was doing it almost experimentally, and he raised an eyebrow before looking to the beast and watching as it struck it in the side, the forces of it tearing a long gouging hole through it's flesh as it ripped it a new one almost litterally. The beast let out another shriek as Saito looked to the blow, cocking his head to the side.

"That's a nice trick." he noted, curious now about the girl as much as the monster in front of him. The thrill of it was dying, and he could already feel himself separating back into who he was before, sliding back into a world where he was not himself and vice versa. It was confusing, but the strength didn't leave him, and the beast wasn't entirely dead yet, but at the same time it elicited almost a longing feeling in him. It had felt good to be so united, to be so in control, to be so confident and aware... maybe there was something to all this letting go. Either way he approached the wounded monster, watching it thrash and flail about as it walked towards it. With a swift motion that was almost unexpected the beast snarled and shot it's massive head for him, attempting to rip his arm off, but he simply wasn't there, appearing beside it as though he'd whirled out of thin air before using the momentum to bring his clawed hand down in a sharp, piercing jab towards the beast's eye.

"Well that was a buzz-kill." he felt himself say, a last burst of the stranger as he felt his hand punch straight through the eye and whatever else was behind it, watching as it howled and stretched it's mouth wide and seemed to disintegrate around him leaving only a viscous black fluid on his hand where it had torn into it. He looked at it as though it were an alien substance and swept his hand to the side, spattering the ground with it before he sighed and ran a hand over his face, making his way back towards the girl. There was a flicker of an afterimage behind him as he walked, a face split with a grin wider then it ever had any right to be before it was gone, and he was alone with the woman again.

"Sorry about all that." he said as he shook his head, feeling slightly drained after the initial rush of excitement was well and gone. "It followed me here, and I figured it'd be better not to just leave you for it."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:56 pm

It worked. Holy shit, it really worked. Maybe the horrors of that night had been worth it. If she could protect herself without need for a true weapon, if she could be her own weapon, the violation didn't seem like such a high price to pay after all. While her abilities were nowhere near as cool or handy as the man's seem to be, she was quickly finding herself content with them, maybe even happy to know they have more purpose than just messing up her home. Now she would have to practice with them so it wouldn't take as long to make them useful. Not every attacker would lie in the middle of the sidewalk and wait for her to concentrate and manifest some energy. Her eyes were still staring at the spot previously filled by the monster when the man came back to her. Blinking rapidly before looking at him, she shook her head and then smiled.

"It worked. I can't believe it worked." Another shake of the head had her completely out of the trance like state she'd been in. "Sorry, thanks for not just leaving me for it to snack on. I owe you my life. Any way you'll let me make you dinner to settle the debt?"
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 1:18 pm

He blinked as he listened to her ramble, not quite sure what to make of it all. He'd never seen powers like that before, but if nothing else they seemed fairly devastating; the beast wasn't as strong as himself (he now knew much to his irritation and his stranger's amusement at him having hauled ass for several blocks instead of just snap-kicking it's head off), but it would have devoured most normal humans without much trouble, and the blast of twisting energy seemed to be stronger in effect then a kick or a punch of his-some part of him realized that he would need something more then martial arts to defeat his enemies, something that would allow him to tear through even the strongest foes, but he remained silent about this as he listened to her talk, letting her finish before he smiled slightly and shook his head.

"You're asking a college student if he wants a free meal." he said dryly, amused. "Have you ever met someone who'd turn it down?"
You're just saying that because she's cute.
Shut up.

"You don't owe me anything, though; I'm sure you could have handled yourself."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 2:04 pm

"So you're in college?" A flicker of jealousy ran through me at the admission, but I hoped that I had successfully kept proof of it out of my voice. "Dinner it is then, my place is a few blocks this way." Shifting the purse back to my side from where it had taken up residence just below my stomach, I turn to continue my journey home trusting that he would follow suit. So much for arriving there without incident; at least I learned something from this little interruption. While my feet began moving, in relatively small steps thanks to the legs that barely extended beyond midget range, I think over the last thing the young man had said. While he sounded sincere, he was mistaken. Had I not seen him attack the monster first, seen first hand that he was able to damage it, I never would have known it was possible. I've been living in fear of the spirits and demons that walk amongst us for years, even going so far as to train myself to look right through them at all times. If they don't realize I can see them, they're more likely to leave me be. Some aren't so easy, of course, but those are typically the ones that like to mess with ignorant humans. When I happen to find myself the butt of those antics, I try my best to play it off as coincidence. Years of observing the ones who can't see them react to different spirit - caused situations have given me plenty of opportunities to mimic responses.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 3:02 pm

As he walked, he realized that he felt a little odd tonight, for whatever reason; his body was still primed, but now there was a layer of frustration under it, of irritation. The fight with the beast had been so... easy. So mundane. He was startled to realize that he was looking foreword to it, looking foreword to having a real fight where he would have to give it his all... and then to kill it with what amounted to two punches...
The word you're looking for is boring.
You know, having a back and forth with you will get distracting eventually...

You like it.
He sighed and shook his head, walking along after her before he blinked and realized she'd spoken. He swore, if this kept up he would look like one of those insane people walking down the street talking to themselves and everyone around them. He briefly wondered whether or not he WAS one of those insane people already before he shrugged lightly and made his way along after her, hands in his pockets. His teeth had almost returned to normal, only slightly pointed now but still a bit sharp looking, and but his eyes still had the slightly animal glint in them, when they mirrored and reflected the light at certain angles.
"Mmhmm." he said with a slight sigh. "I sure hope these aren't the best years of my life, 'cause if so the rest of it won't be much fun. What about you?"
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Resisting the urge to glance over my shoulder to make sure he was in fact following, I had begun to think he didn't feel like talking. The pause between my question and his answer was a bit longer than I had expected. I almost laughed aloud at the relief flooding my body when he finally responded. How foolish was I to be this happy that he'd accepted my dinner offer? I was grateful to not be walking the rest of the way alone, that had been the true motivation for the dinner offer, paying him back for not leaving me to be monster food was just a good cover.

"Aww you mean to tell me that college by day and vigilante spirit monster slaying by night are too fun to top?" Tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear, I cast a quick (and hopefully unnoticed) glance back at the attractive beast conqueror. What was I going to fix for dinner? I hadn't exactly done a lot of grocery shopping lately, unless you count the food I bought for Lance yesterday which still doesn't help me plan a menu. I suppose there were a few things in the freezer that I could throw together to create a halfway edible outcome. Completely forgetting that he'd asked about me, my mind was already bringing up the sad image of my fridge and pantry. I would find something to feed us both, even if I had to sneak out the window and climb down to beg more food off of the nice gay couple in the apartment below.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 3:42 pm

"Not much of a vigilante; it started stalking me, and I don't like being stalked. I was just gonna run from it, but..." he shrugged and ran a hand over his face. Things didn't much seem to end up like he'd intended, often enough, especially when it was becoming increasingly aware that one way or another, he didn't have to worry about that sort of thing nearly as much as he had before. The strength that coursed through him was consuming, tempting... and the stranger in him knew that, and seemed to delight in using it against him. He briefly wondered quite whether or not resisting was really what he should be doing, but either way he had something else to focus on now, and that helped.
"What about you? Seems like I should know your name before just walking in."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 pm

"Yeah, being stalked kinda sucks, but running from your stalker generally leads them to follow." Not that I was speaking from experience or anything. Two spirit or demon being things don't count as stalkers do they? Appearing over my crib and bed a few nights a month for eighteen years isn't creepy or invading my privacy, so what would I know about being stalked? Of course he didn't know that, he didn't need to know that. I'm sure I already looked like a freak to this guy, making it worse or affirming the suspicions wouldn't help me out. This time I had gained enough control over my thoughts and worries to notice his repeated question.

"Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Alexis, Lexi for short. I, um, didn't catch yours if you mentioned it." Way to go, Lexi, way to not prove how big of a crazy freak you are. Trying not to constantly fuss with my hair, or resituate my purse a thousand times, I shove my restless hands into the half pockets sewn into the hips of my slacks. Here I was, only a day after the encounter with Lance, inviting another strange male to accompany me. Let's hope this one doesn't have a fondness for knives. When that occurred to me, I stop short and turn to face him. "You don't have any really sharp knives on you that I should know about, do you?" So much for not sounding like a lunatic.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm

That having been the first really spiritual beast he'd ever seen, he wasn't quite sure what to expect from them; certainly he didn't know what the hell they wanted, if they thought, what the whole stalking thing was about, and why it hadn't just tried to pounce on him when given the chance. The fact that it couldn't have taken him, well... he didn't much bother thinking about that, still not used to the new found abilities he had. As he listened to the girl, however, he chuckled; at least he wasn't the only one who had a few quirks here and there.
"My name is Saito." he said with a slight smile, shaking his head. "And no, I don't have a knife; I've never needed one. Do you often have visitors that do?" he asked idly, wondering quite why he was going with her to her house instead of just continuing on his way, but he let it go. As far as impulses went, following a whim and walking with her wasn't nearly as bad as it could be.
If you're giving me an invitation for worse...
So what, now you're every random impulse I get?
Not random, per se; I just don't like holding back.
One of these days, I'm going to a damn shrink.
It'll be funny when you punch your way out of a padded cell.
Shut up.

Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok, let's break this down; scooped me up and carried me to the end of the block instead of letting me bash my head on the sidewalk, tried to make me run away so he could take on the monster alone, and he wasn't carrying a knife. So far this Saito was shaping up to be a much better temporary companion than yesterday's had been. Maybe I would even avoid the whole puppy dog submission with this one. The weakness that overcame me yesterday still bothered me, it had kept me up most of the night and took my mind away from the job for at least half the day at work. Resuming my steps toward home, I ponder the question asked before shaking my head. "No, not often, just yesterday so it's still a fresh concern. Sorry about throwing it out there like that." One of these days I was seriously going to learn to keep this big trap shut. Attempting to shift the conversation to a much safer, and less crazy place, I voice a less personal question. "So what do you like to eat? I can't promise to have all your favorites but I can try to whip up something close."
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 3:53 pm

The woman seemed to have at least been through something last night, and so he shrugged lightly as to her questions about the knives and such. Didn't much matter to him, really; he was odd enough in his own ways that he probably wasn't all that much better. Still, morbid curiosity overtook him, and whether or not she wanted to answer he would at least ask. "What went on yesterday, rude house guest?" he asked idly as they walked towards her house, passing what appeared to be an apartment complex. He was still so unused to how he felt at night, how light his body was, how even a bit more force on his part could send him springing into the air or how little it would take to bend the railing that he was running his hand along as they walked. He looked down into the stoop of the doorway with eyes that glinted in the diagonal light of the streetlamps before he turned back to her, almost languidly.

"I eat most anything, so long as it isn't more ramen." he said with a slight shrug of his shoulders, though for some reason he could feel something in the back of his mind hissing slightly for something else, though he couldn't tell what it was.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 4:32 pm

I know I opened the door for the questions about yesterday, but damn, did he have to come straight out and ask about it like he was actually interested or something? It wasn't his asking that really bothered me, it was the stumble in my step and the very unflattering choking sound that were my body's responses to the question. "I guess you could say that, though he was more rude in the drugstore bathroom than he was once I got him home. No, I take that back, he was more rude at home."

The activities of the evening so far had been in the foreground of my mind, enough so that I had neglected to feel the slight pinch of the scab being dislodged and the abdomen wound being reopened. As I try to recover from the flustered effects of trying not to sound foolish while recounting some of yesterday's events, my hand unconsciously rubs over the injured area where I can feel the wetness seeping into my clothes.

"Son of a bitch!" The curse was out of my mouth before I could think, causing me to stop and turn to Saito, eyes wide with shock. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to come out like that. I don't have Tourrette's or anything, I just realized something I'd missed before." Facing forward once again, praying that this guy wouldn't just dismiss me as some nut job, I begin walking again, this time more slowly. Now that I knew the damn thing was bleeding again, I could feel the pain that came with every step. You never realize how much the skin on your abdomen moves with everyday activities until it's injured or separated. Pulling my hand back a little, once we walked directly below a street light, I could see the crimson stain coloring my fingers. Great. I knew I should have stitched myself up last night when I was sewing that button back on Lance's pants. The cut wasn't deep, it was just long and in a position to be easily disturbed.

Memo to me: Get home, get a nice thank you dinner started for Saito, clean this mess up and change the bandage, then kick Lance's ass if he's around. Maybe I should warn my current savior that the rude house guest had somehow wormed his way into being my temporary roommate, but if I mention it, will he still let me cook him dinner? Besides, Lance might not even be there when I get back. Oh god, what if the apartment is a mess? Add straightening up the place to that growing list.
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Blood. He didn't know how he knew what it was, or how it was there, but he knew it was about. Instantly his eyes mirrored over and there was a flicker before he was in front of her, his hand grasping the wrist that she'd touched the cut with in a grip as hard as iron, not crushing to the joint but certainly stronger then most humans had any right to be as he cocked his head and looked to the blood on her fingertips, his head cocking to the side inquisitively as he examined it.

"You're cut." he said, voice the same as ever, though the beastial eyes flickered to hers only briefly before returning to the blood on her fingertips. He breathed in and the air was thick with it, close to him, like a heady mist perfuming the air beneath the yellowed street lights. It looked black in the night, and he breathed out quietly as he looked to it. There was an intensity in the gaze that was almost unsettling before he looked to her abdomen where the blood was seeping. There was a slight afterimage of his actions, one that didn't quite mirror his own movements before it syched back up. "You should be treated for that; abdominal wounds especially tend to split back open..." he said, voice almost quiet before there was a sudden shift and his hand slid away from hers, his body stepping back faster then he should before he seemed to relax, untense, shaking his head slightly and letting outa a sigh.

"I'm...sorry, about that." he said quietly, shaking his head. "I'm not sure what that was, but it won't happen again. My apologies, that was very rude."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm not sure why I was startled by Saito's reaction. It wasn't his awareness of the blood, I could have easily given off signs of injury once I realized it was bleeding; nor was it the speed of his movements, I'd already seen proof of those abilities when he was fighting the monster. The strength in his grasp on my wrist was nothing new to me, I figured I just had some internal magnet that brought me to males exponentially stronger than I am. First the demon, then Lance, and now this one. Just call me the super powerful freak magnet. If I had to put a finger on what disturbed me it would have to be the change in his eyes. I hadnt' spent too much time staring into them or committing them to memory, but I knew they were different, the second he appeared in front of me. It was almost like there was someone else looking at my hand, someone other than Saito. Given yesterday's strange moments with Lance, I almost thought this guy was going to try to eat me like I'd thought Lance would; but when he spoke there was almost a concern there, at least a sense of logic that I was hurt and needed attention.

It was more than I got from Lance the night before, so of course me being easy to sway I was already lost. When he moved away again and apologized, I was taken aback. Shaking my head slightly, letting my hair fall forward to hide the mixed emotions on my face, I stuttered over the initial words. "N..n..no, that wasn't rude, at least not as rude as the one who caused it. I hoped to get by without stitches, but I guess I'll be doing some more sewing after dinner tonight." It wasn't like this was anything new, I'd been fixing my own injuries for years now. The sisters at the orphanage refused to touch them after the first cross showed up. At least this spot would be easier to get to than most of them had been. Keeping the already bloodied hand tightly pressed against my abdomen, I attempted another topic change. "So where did you learn those moves and how can I pick them up?"
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm

He was a bit caught off guard by his own reaction, the way his mind seemed to focus in on the blood and how his eyes kept lingering slightly on it before he managed to slide them away and back to her face, where he kept them firmly located as best he could before he blinked lightly. "Fixing your own wounds is rarely a good plan." he pointed out dryly, shaking his head. "Especially sewing at the abdomen; it twists and bends enough that sewing it together wrong may be disfiguring. You should probably go to a doctor." As he listened to her other question, continuing the walk to her house and wondering quite how much further it would be, he shrugged.

Go on, tell her all about me. It'll be funny.
How many times am I going to have to tell you to shut up when I'm around other people?
Your eyes will cross before you get there.

"It's...I don't want to say natural, but instinctual, I guess. It just kind of comes out that way. All about letting yourself go, I suppose." he said dryly, shaking his head before he sighed. "I'm not quite sure what to think about them. I think I might be possessed, or something. What about you? It's not every day a girl can tear through a demon like that."
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Nodding as he spoke about mending wounds and possibly leaving disfigurations, my free hand gathers the material of blouse and lifts it just enough to give him a peek at my side. The scars that come into view are straight and even for the most part, but one that appears to have been deeper than the others was obviously an awkward stitching which resulted in an uneven healing pattern. "Kinda like this?" After giving him time to look, I nod my head and offer him a weak smile. "I gave up on caring how the scars came out a long time ago. Now my main priority is to save at least a couple outfits from blood stains, at which I seem to be quite inept."

Making the last turn of our journey, I see my building rise up before us. It was only a four story walk up but it was home. My eyes instinctively rise to my bedroom window. It was dark but that didn't mean other rooms in the apartment weren't occupied. As we approach the door, I think about what the man said regarding being possessed while I start to dig for my keys. Could I actually turn to him and nonchalantly confess to being raped by a demon and implanted with a possessive spirit to answer his question of my abilities? Of course not, he'd probably run from me thinking that I had really lost my marbles. Instead I shrug lightly and open the door for him. "I'll go with that possession answer too. It kinda sums it up nicely."
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:39 pm

He sighed lightly, running a hand over his face and kneading at his eyes for a moment as he watched her open the door, shaking his head lightly. "Seems to be more common then I thought, then, I kind of figured that I was the only one." He shrugged as he started foreword, sliding through the door easily and making his way after her to the stairs, moving effortlessly through the hallways. He wasn't sure what to think about all the scars; they seemed rather painful to him, irritating enough, but then again his scars healed regularly. As he made his way up the stairs after her, he shook his head idly.

"You should at least have someone else do it for you." he pointed out dryly. "Regardless of looks, healing like that can become a hindrance. Remind me after dinner and I'll stitch it for you." In all the time he'd spent going to college, he couldn't say that premed wasn't useful.
Are you offering because you want to be the knight in shining armor, or because you want to see her with her shirt off again?
Can't I be doing it because I'm a good person and the situation came up?
You and I both know you too well for that.
I hate you, some days.
Only because you don't understand me. Or yourself, for that matter; one in the same problem, really.
I'll beat the answers out of you one of these days.
Big talk from the boy chatting with his imaginary friend.
He sighed and rubbed his eyes, shaking his head and making his way after her towards the upper levels where he assumed her apartment was, wondering if ringing his own neck would get the job done.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Heading up the stairs I wonder if this is the time to tell him about Lance. If he is there I should at least mention it before opening the door. My thoughts are thrown off track when his offer to stitch it up for me after dinner comes. It was an extremely nice offer, one I hadn't been faced with for as long as I can remember. I wanted to accept it, to sit back and let someone else take care of the needlework for a change, but I couldn't agree to let him, not yet anyway. "Thanks, if I remember I may just take you up on that." When our steps landed on the fourth floor landing, I turn and lead him to my apartment door at the end of the short hallway. Sliding the key into the lock, I pause and turn to him. "Just to warn you now, the knife owning house guest may be inside. I had a moment of temporary insanity, before the bloodshed, and offered him my extra bedroom. He agreed to try it for a week and see how it fits him, but I don't know if he'll still be here or not, or what state he's left my apartment in. I assure you that when I left this morning it was neat and tidy, but what is on the other side of this door right now may very well be the exact opposite."
Back to top Go down
Nicolai
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm

He blinked as he heard her mention that said knife wielder may still be in her house. The concept of leaving someone who a) has already cut you once and b) is likely to be a dangerous and relatively degenerate individual in the first place was boggling to him, contrary to most things like sense and self-preservation. Someone that has stabbed you awake is plenty likely to stab you asleep, and they're certainly less likely to miss, but to each their own. He wondered just who this knife wielding person might be and whether or not there would be a confrontation between them before the stranger chimed in again.
Sure you don't just want there to be a fight? His voice was snide and amused in his head, as though trying to bait an answer out of him and bring rise to something underneath, something ugly.
Of course not. If nothing else it would ruin her apartment, likely.
But it would be exciting. It would be a test, and you might even look good doing it.
I'm not trying to test myself against a random knife wielding psycho just because he cut someone who doesn't seem to mind.
Why not? He stabbed someone. Can you really imagine him as a good person? And besides, who the fuck cares? He's strong enough to use a knife on someone, which means he's strong enough to go toe to toe with. What good is all that fancy judo bullshit if you're not going to use it on someone? Stop being such a pussy-
Shut. Up.

He finished the train of thought with a slight sigh, shaking his head and finally watching as they came to a stop in front of an apartment door. He hadn't said much in regards to her statement, but when it came up he shrugged. "I live on my own; I'm used to mess. Let's just hope your knife wielder has a bit of restraint." he said with a slight snort, as though he doubted it.
Back to top Go down
Surreal SaDiablo
Ascended Tonberry
Surreal SaDiablo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 pm

Updated Saito
Back to top Go down
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
aѕceпxion

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 12:37 am

Updated Surreal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outrun the Darkness   Outrun the Darkness Empty

Back to top Go down

Outrun the Darkness
Page 1 of 1