H2H Content Site ( Mirror ) - New Content Added 11/22!
 
HomeHome  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Technique Questions

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ω Intense Strikes
TEXP: 2
Fists move so quickly with punches they are unable to be followed by normal eyes.

Ω Lightning Kicks
TEXP: 2
Feet are able to kick so swiftly that they are unable to be followed by normal eyes.

Ω Fighter's Heart
TEXP: 5
The ability to fight with uncanny power with your style of choice (MA, Brawl, Boxing, or Grappling.)
Effect: damage of normal fighting techniques +1 Strength attribute


Are these considered passive or do they have to be activated in battle? There are three viable scenarios.
1) After learning these, you have the ability to use them all the time as they enhance your existing abilities. I.e. Intense strikes applies to MA fighting with no additional stamina draw and your hands always move fast when attacking.
2) You learn these like normal techs and it exerts more stamina to use these increased abilities. I.e. there is a 10% draw when you go from normal MA fighting to enhanced MA fighting.
3) You activate the ability in battle and only pay the stamina cost once when you first use it.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.


Last edited by escalation on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
ShinTre_Admin
Admin


Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 pm

ya, i'll let that slide until kaz does somethin to make me regret it
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry


Number of posts : 3978
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:41 pm

m029 buwhaahahahahahah, Alright ^^. Here is another....

Quote :
Area Purification
TEXP: 8
Both palms thrust out extracting streams of sutra cards from the caster's clothing or sleeves to cover the terrain and negate non passive Magixal and Possession techniques.
Effect: drain is Fierce, area = 10 ft per level

Would this continue to drain after it has been cast, or does it just do a single drain and last.... continuously? I have been wondering this since it has been used against one of my characters >_>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry


Number of posts : 6937
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:49 pm

For this is seems like the cards are being blessed and stay on the terrain after it's cast. It looks like the drain here is one time since it's not a spell that would need to be held. It's only 50 feet of influence maxxed out, so getting out of it is like running through 2 yards. Keep gas and some matches and you can just torch the papers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Lol. You cant find gas or matches in the past... But, you can see the cards to effect them? Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazakura
Respected Elder
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1880
Age : 36
Location : South Carolina
Rank : High Priestess
Points : 0
Rep! : 37
Registration date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:59 am

Almighty Shin has handed this ruling down...

Shin says:
*reply on the boards and tell rune he can't ask questions until he gets a signature on the boards from both kaz and kyro



good luck and my the force be with you.

Kyro Edit: He must beat me in a pokemon battle before gaining my signature badge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 am

Lol.
Q: I was wondering if a Passive tech would count towards the required number that you need to make a custom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:06 pm

яuиє wrote:
Lol.
Q: I was wondering if a Passive tech would count towards the required number that you need to make a custom.
Jaenelle wrote:
Almighty Shin has handed this ruling down...
Shin says: *reply on the boards and tell rune he can't ask questions until he gets a signature on the boards from both kaz and kyro
or until sunday >:[

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 2610
Location : Los Angeles, California
Rank : Divine Prince
Points : 96
Rep! : 96
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:31 pm

яuиє wrote:
Lol.
Q: I was wondering if a Passive tech would count towards the required number that you need to make a custom.

It's a technique, right? Listed on one of the technique pages... Stop there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Quote :
Swordsmanship
Skill, accuracy, and ability to use a broad blade.
Effect: damage based on Strength attribute +1. Increases to +2 when perfected.
* Required

The drain of this tech would be 10% - anything from rank, right? Or would it not have any drain?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am

яuиє wrote:
Quote :
Swordsmanship
Skill, accuracy, and ability to use a broad blade.
Effect: damage based on Strength attribute +1. Increases to +2 when perfected.
* Required

The drain of this tech would be 10% - anything from rank, right? Or would it not have any drain?
Low drain.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 am

Quote :
Golem
TEXP: 10
The caster creates humanoid shadow warriors that are able to fight independently of their caster. The number of warriors created depend on the control level of the technique (+1 per level). These golems are Strong but can be destroyed easily by a blessed attack.
Effect: attributes and damage is Strong, Golem density = 5.

With this spell, would someone be able to cast it, get five golems, and then cast it again to get 5 additional, making them have 10? and if they can, would they be able to get more, as long as they have the stamina to cast the spell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 pm

яuиє wrote:
Quote :
Golem
TEXP: 10
The caster creates humanoid shadow warriors that are able to fight independently of their caster. The number of warriors created depend on the control level of the technique (+1 per level). These golems are Strong but can be destroyed easily by a blessed attack.
Effect: attributes and damage is Strong, Golem density = 5.

With this spell, would someone be able to cast it, get five golems, and then cast it again to get 5 additional, making them have 10? and if they can, would they be able to get more, as long as they have the stamina to cast the spell.

lol! good ass question boy!
hell no!
lol
you can for the saga tho
i'ma have to put something in there to state you can't do that
but good as question!

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 pm

*Crys* dont take it away m040 It will be awesome, an army of golems, pretty please?

**Edit: Also, I know I did this with out asking, but when I did the first round of golems, I gave them all different kinds of weapons... Im not sure if that is ok or not lol. But now I am wondering if the golems would be able to fly around like the one who summoned them, if they are able to fly that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am

яuиє wrote:
*Crys* dont take it away m040 It will be awesome, an army of golems, pretty please?

**Edit: Also, I know I did this with out asking, but when I did the first round of golems, I gave them all different kinds of weapons... Im not sure if that is ok or not lol. But now I am wondering if the golems would be able to fly around like the one who summoned them, if they are able to fly that is.

nope! xD

Golem: The caster creates humanoid shadow warriors that are able to fight independently of their caster. The number of warriors created depend on the control level of the technique (+1 per level). These golems are Strong but can be destroyed easily by a blessed attack. Effect: attributes and damage is Strong, Golem density = 5.

that's what they can do. if you didn't buy em weapons, they dun got it (for future reference). if it dun say they can do it here, they can't. think that should answer whether they can fly or not. (they dun even have tech packages, so all their fighting'll be basically novice xD)

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 am

I see... would there be anyway to make them stronger and stuff?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:40 am

check on the site and lemme know if you can answer that question. if you dun see anything, try either a site suggestion or a custom. 1 more question left for today

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 am

If they are made of shadow then it would stand to reason that they come pre equipped with some form of weapons, weapons made of the same shadow they are made of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 pm

no. it does not. if i didn't say they came with weapons then they come with nothing. it would make sense for them to use melee attacks. it would not make sense for them to have weapons, or else i would have stated they had shadow weapons. it makes no sense for them to do something their description doesn't say it does. move further comments to an occ thread and use this for questions only. you got your answer.

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Quote :
Recaste
TEXP: 10
The ability to redo the last spell channeled just by speaking a single word chant.
Effect: drain is High

With this tech, would it only cost High drain when you recast the spell, or would it be High + Spells Drain?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 am

Quote :
Auramist (passive)
TEXP: 5
The ability to see a mist near areas where spirits are. The color of the aura changes with the nature of the spirit and the intensity signifies its strength.
Effect: sense strength = 20% per level

How much range does Auramist have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 pm

яuиє wrote:
Quote :
Recaste
TEXP: 10
The ability to redo the last spell channeled just by speaking a single word chant.
Effect: drain is High

With this tech, would it only cost High drain when you recast the spell, or would it be High + Spells Drain?
It would have to be Spell+High since this would basically be cheap if used repetitively with destructive level spells. It would give you a lower Stamina cost for the benefit of not chanting.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 pm

яuиє wrote:
Quote :
Auramist (passive)
TEXP: 5
The ability to see a mist near areas where spirits are. The color of the aura changes with the nature of the spirit and the intensity signifies its strength.
Effect: sense strength = 20% per level

How much range does Auramist have?
Since it's based on site, the range is probably equal to that of the user's visual distance.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:36 pm

sounds good

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 am

Ghost wrote:
Just curious. What if your chosen affinity is "Casting?" Would that affect the cost of Antichant?
The stamina cost is actually +1% from the existing 1%, so if you take half off of that, then with it as an affinity, the total stamina cost would be reduced to 1.5%. Cutting 2 in half would result in no stamina cost, which would be unacceptable.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 am

You are correct.

Correction: Antichant is passive. It cannot be trained. Thanks Rune.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Ghost wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I have to be annoying again, though. Sad
Intangibility. I guess I'm just wondering what falls under the category of "objects?" My understanding of it is they force themselves to be out of sync with that realm/plane. Would that mean magic would pass through them as well or is it just physical objects?
Magic passes through as well.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleMariko
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2042
Age : 29
Location : It's all in your head
Rank : The Adversary
Points : 2
Rep! : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Area Attack Self-Immunity   Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Ok, so I was talking to certain parties on the phone about whether or not lytflies would affect a user once they were set off. It was implied that they could, so this is me explaining why I think that would be unreasonable.
So Lytflies is...
Scream of the Lyteflies
TEXP: 15
The user performs a gestures causing hundreds or thousands of tiny electrically charged particles to manifest within a target area. On creation or when activated, these particles burst in a unison of multiple explosions.
Effect: damage is Destructive, area = 20 ft per level.

In this discussion I'm also including similar techs like
Spoiler:
 
So certain parties told me that since it was an explosion, it would hurt the user if the user was near the blast. This doesn't make sense to me at all, because if one can use a destructive spell I assume that meant, "You may safely use a destructive spell," and the norm in the media is that if a character has a power, he or she can use that power without harm to his or herself (i.e. The Flash doesn't smash his feet to a paste when his feet hit the asphalt at high speeds, Pikachu doesn't hurt himself when he shocks Ash while he's being held, and... well, just check out this page for examples), so no, it's not a lack of common sense that makes me think that a character who employs an area attack would be immune from the effects of his or her own area attacks. It's the fact that it's an assumption about superpowers prevalent in the media that they don't hurt you when you use them and that assumption isn't contradicted anywhere in the site. That and, in the particular case of lytflies, an increased area would be a handicap because one would have to stand at an increasing distance away from an opponent for the same effect, and 100 feet is a LONG distance to see or stand if you're in the forest or the city, which is where most of the site is.

So my question is, does this REALLY mean that if Grunty uses her perfected lytflies on someone without standing 100 feet away she'll blow herself up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psi Prince
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 2610
Location : Los Angeles, California
Rank : Divine Prince
Points : 96
Rep! : 96
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:19 am

@Kitsu RE: Lyteflies

If you are in a wide open countryside or something like that, it shouldn't really hurt you. Maybe -10% (Weak) for random debris hitting you. Now if you are in a city, construction yard/zone, shop, etc, the explosion will trigger other explosions b/c if you cast it with cars within 33.33 yards of your focal point, those cars would explode and that explosion would harm you. The stone debris would harm you. If you are in water, you'd get harmed, etc. This ability has been used with no realistic consequence to its use and that's probably why certain parties are now taking more of a look at it.

Here's one question that doesn't get asked? Is an element an element regardless of who harnesses it? Meaning if you don't have any element negating techs, why is it that if two Iyce users fight, they can hurt each other, but the ice they conjure can't possibly hurt them? Is there a special property in my ice that is different from your ice or is it all ice? There's a reason people say, "Don't play with fire b/c you might get burned."

Also, do you ever notice that a lot of the big explosions and area effects are sent into places where your allies are not fighting or there's the dramatic scramble for them to break away from their battle and escape the blast in time and the explosions push out away from you, so generally with the force of the push, you are safe, but lyteflies scatter around the area and then explode. Simply by the description, it would make no sense for me to be standing in the center of the impact zone. This ability by its description is not meant for one-on-one combat unless it's part of chain move that knocks someone to the ground or up in the air away from them to let it loose.

100 feet is NOT a long distance btw. This issue has come out numerous times and the fact that IRL 270-300 lb football players can travel 120 feet (40 yd dash) in less than 5 seconds should prove that.

These points might give some reason as to why the issue came up in the first place. Hope it gives you some things to consider to help either your argument gain favor or see where some objections lie. I have no stake in this. Glad you're back though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleMariko
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2042
Age : 29
Location : It's all in your head
Rank : The Adversary
Points : 2
Rep! : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 am

If you are in a wide open countryside or something like that, it shouldn't really hurt you. Maybe -10% (Weak) for random debris hitting you. Ok. So I suffer low level damage from using my own technique? Gee, you learn something new every day. ... If you are in water, you'd get harmed, etc. If I'm in water I get hurt too? Wow, I would've never guessed! It would be awesome if some of this was on the site. I guess if I come up against a water user, who according to the elements page I should be strong against, I'll just be screwed after his first use of Rain and Tsunami. So nice to know these things in advance. I mean, obviously I don't read because I didn't see this stuff, so I deserve a screwed up character. ^ ^
And when on Earth did we start dealing with realism in a fantasy RP? That's like pointing out that Superman shouldn't be able to catch Lois Lane falling at terminal velocity. Powers generally aren't handled realistically because then we'd have to have paragraphs and paragraphs of justification and required secondary powers as I mentioned. What's next, Conservation of mass? Well, gee, there go transformations. Convection? Wow, all of a sudden fyre package is looking godly and hella hard to dodge.

...There's a reason people say, "Don't play with fire b/c you might get burned." Oh gee, I guess because perhaps irl we don't have people who can make fireballs. Why doesn't the element just burn their hand while they're gathering it? That sounds like an awful lot of fun for the fire user, all that realism. It'd be just like a high school RP.

Also, do you ever notice that a lot of the big explosions and area effects are sent into places where your allies are not fighting or there's the dramatic scramble for them to break away from their battle and escape the blast in time and the explosions push out away from you,Ok, so it'd be bad in a team scenario and it's meant for 1 on 1. Who's "you" anyways? so generally with the force of the push, you are safe, Wait, wait, wait... if you're talking about irl physics like you were previously explosions do not work that way. but lyteflies scatter around the area and then explode. Simply by the description, it would make no sense for me to be standing in the center of the impact zone. This ability by its description is not meant for one-on-one combat Wait, I thought you just said that it would be bad in team scenarios... Oh, duh, I guess that means there's no application for it ^ ^ silly me. I keep forgetting that things aren't like they sound. unless it's part of chain move that knocks someone to the ground or up in the air away from them to let it loose. So that would make Shadles a useless useful spell as well. It doesn't -specify- that the needles don't hit you, so logically they should hit you, right? Also, as I said previously, in that scenario you just ran the smaller the blast radius THE BETTER, ergo, you're being punished for training it.

100 feet is NOT a long distance btw. This issue has come out numerous times and the fact that IRL 270-300 lb football players can travel 120 feet (40 yd dash) in less than 5 seconds should prove that. But try having them throw a football 100 feet. Is it easier than them throwing it 20 feet? Don't they have quite a bit more precision at 20 feet? How about 100 feet with buildings or trees in the way?

I mean, you made it sound like a trap
A) If you are standing anywhere you can see the explosion you die from shrapnel/shockwave/heat because that's how explosions work irl
B) If you're standing far enough away from the person not to get hit by the besaid stuff, you won't be able to see who you're hitting anyways. I'm surprised binoculars aren't in the shop if this is the case.
C) That element I'm strong against I'm actually weak against
D) I suppose by extension ShockX and Channel should deal weak damage when you use them too, since you don't have immunity from your own spells
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaguyalover
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2348
Age : 28
Location : Miami, Florida
Rank : Kinos, Hitorinji
Points : 71
Rep! : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:14 am

o.o i've always seen that move like a minefield....>.>' why would you wanna be in a minefield when they go go, yeah you wont' get harmed by the mines....until they explode x]

Edit: Also you really gotta think about it, asking to me immune to you're own moves is kinda a bit much. Mainly since we are using moves that just anyone an learn,unless it's stated otherwise. So if you become immune to your own moves why wouldn't you be immune to someone else's move.

Moving onto Pickachu being immune to his own lighting bolt, it's not necessarily because of some magical second power. Pikachu is a lighting rat pokemon who for some unexplained reason can charge and release lighting bolt's from his cheeks ( or something along those lines of what was said in an old episode a long time ago ) There could be a multitude of reason's for why pikachu isn't bothered by it, possibly it's fur could give it some sort of immunity to it's own lighting attacks, or it's tail acts as a sort of a lighting rod to redirect the most damaging of the lighting away from the body. OR it could of been those things that are blatantly ignore in anime and manga because if it's going to be added in then thing's will begin to start having far too much content no one is going to bother reading it because it'll be boring and i don't think someone would want to read an encyclopedia about a lighting rat pokemon and exactly how it works and functions. Hell it could have some sort of organ inside of it that helps make it immune. or mainly it's just the power of 'I-don't-wanna-explain-this-unneeded-piece-of-information-because-i'm-getting-money-none-the-less-for-this-show'

With The Flash the thing that seem's make him immune to his own abilities is this invisible aura that surrounds The Flash that makes himself and his cloths immune to dealing with air friction. and again it's really falling toward's that unneeded explanation because no one would really care about reading so freaking much about one little things. It's unnecessary and possibly unwanted little details, I just read up the flash to read up somethings about him because i know that sometimes they mention other powers that he does have, but it hasn't exactly been stated and it becomes apparent that the flash seems to be able to some how ignore some of the laws of physics, but thats how quite a lot of the superhero characters work, just because following the rules can be boring sometimes and we all know that rules must be broken.

Scream of the Lyteflies
TEXP: 15
The user performs a gestures causing hundreds or thousands of tiny electrically charged particles to manifest within a target area. On creation or when activated, these particles burst in a unison of multiple explosions.
Effect: damage is Destructive, area = 20 ft per level.

Okay so what your asking for is do we have immunity to our own technique. Well this technique is an area of effect kind of move, it's meant to damage EVERYTHING in it's area of effect. It's why I don't go around causing my Clasm technique right where my character is standing out because well, hmm for god sakes why would I want two matters clashing around my characters body? The Scream of the Lyteflies is just causing a series of hundreds of thousands of tiny electrically charged particles in a target area. Apparently this move also have the choice of whether you can activate it instantly or let it simmer like a time bomb and seems that you can also control where you wish to place these hundreds of thousands of little electrical particles. Sure yeah you wanna be immune to lytning, go ahead be immune to lytning but i dont think you'll be immune to explosions.

If you wanna bring in other thing's into this, I got another example for you, Deidara from Naruto his character is all about the beauty of art and it's instance before it's undeniable end, thus explosions. He's always flying on his bird and sending out his explosive devices into area's where he's not in, why is that? Hmm maybe he's immune to his clay but not his explosions. I do remember this one part in the manga where it explains a bit more about Deidara's abilities being earth chakra and blah blah and it pretty much told how he was able to make the clay explode, but thats not my point it was his fight with Sasuke before Deidara dies because he uses his ultimate technique. So let's add in your knowledge to this situation, Deidara uses his secret technique that pretty much uses his own body as an explosion, which for some reason it looks like it's equal to a nuclear explosion or something close to being as massive because the explosion was seen for many many miles. So by what your saying if we are immune to our own techniques then that explosion shouldn't have killed him because it's his own technique. Now i'm sure by now you may come up with a rebuttal to this saying that he wouldn't survive it because he made his own body into a bomb, but i'm merely adding in what you said about being immune to your own technique. That was Deidara's own personal technique that he made but yet he wasn't able to survive it.

Hurrecayne
TEXP: 10
A large scale spell invoking ravaging winds that covers a wide area, larger than the city. It takes a minutes for the spell to start up and 5 for it to fully build. The spell can only be performed perfected.
Effect: average damage for someone caught in the elements will be Fierce, wide scale terrain damage

This spell is an outrageous spell that cover's over an entire city! What city you ask? Well I dunno I only know of one city and that's Saicity and if it cover's over that large of a range whoever got this spell can pretty much kill everyone on the site by performing this spell a few times, oh dont worry by what you're saying the hurrecayne would for some reason have no strength to lift the user off the ground and would somehow have every single piece of whatever flying around in it to always miss it they'll be just fine. Honestly if that's how thing's are gonna go, I wanna be immune to my own technique, I'll just make a new character get the wynd package and learn this move and thats its I'll start performing the spell over and over until I run out of stamina, fall asleep regain stamina, do it again and keep going until everyone's dead. Oh dont' worry about me being found I'll throw myself into the hurrecayne no one else is immune to it but me so even if they still knew it was me, the only opening they have is when i'm not doing it and the damage is more than enough to cripple them especially when I can perform it more than one time.

Hell's Echoes
TEXP: 15
Red rings begin to oscillate about the user in a wide target area and flames explode out [from the rings?] and cover the surroundings with dark hellfire for a post.
Effect: damage is Destructive, radius = 10 yds per level.
So a ring forms' around the being and fire begin's to shoot out from the ring, possibly this could be explained a bit more as to how the flames shoot out or if the rings are the direct source where the flames fire out from or exactly how the ring moves, because if anything I could use this as both offensive and defensive by having the ring spin around in a circle around me and have the fire shoot out from the rings burning everything around me.


I'm not gonna keep going because its gonna get to long but i can understand where you're getting at about being immune to your technique only to a certain degree because if we run around with everyone being immune to ALL there own techniques, We gotta start coming up with a system explaining as to why MY Clasm is any different from YOUR clasm, or why MY scream of the lytflies is different from YOUR scream of the lytflies because apparently you can be immune to your own technique yet you can't be immune to someone else using the EXACT same technique, so tell me what would be the difference because your both imposing magical energy to bring up this specific technique.

it'll just be bring about far too much unneeded work and would require everyone to start pumping out a lot more fluff into their posts and things would really just get boring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue
Veteran
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 974
Age : 23
Location : Eco's lap.
Rank : Toxic
Points : 0
Rep! : 26
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Alright... If one really wants to bring examples from Naruto into this- then I can bring up a variety of examples.
Sasuke's chidori. Why doesn't his hand burn off?
Sasuke's chidori nagashi or w/e, he's enveloped in lightning, is he not? Why is he not electrecuted, either?
Raikage's Lightning Armor. Hmmmmm... Why isn't he taking damage from that, either? There's lightningz on him!
All of the fire based techniques. Why doesn't Sasuke's lips burn off upon initiating the technique?

Or even...
Lina Inverse's Dragon Slave. Destroys entire cities, and generally she's very close, if not in the explosion, and she's perfectly fine after every utilization.

ShockX
TEXP: 7
A spell that channels electricity through the caster so that if a target comes into contact with it, it causes temporary paralysis.
Effect: paralysis lasts for 1 post, drain is Fierce

This technique here. You focus electricity through yourself. Oh, well, looks like you're going to be hurt internally as well from this.

Iycerayne
TEXP: 15
A palm motion to the skies manifests and calls a rush of sharpened ice- needle rain drops to crash down over a mid ranged area.
Effect: damage is Fierce, area = 5 ft per level

Haha, well looks like that technique is severely nerfed as well! Because of something... not stated on the site.

Winter's Storm
TEXP: 15
Creates an area affecting torrent of cold element from the sky within a block wide radius.
Effect: damage is Strong.

I guess you'll have to use this from a block away, too! Wow! There surely is a lot of fighting from 100 ft away combat in this site!

Flamewall
TEXP: 2
The caster creates a static wall of flames. The height of the wall equals that of the user.
Effect: damage is Strong

DON'T GET TOO CLOSE.

Fyreball
TEXP: 2
Builds a red orb of swirling fire energy the size of a basketball that can be projected at a target, exploding on contact.
Effect: damage is Medium

Make sure your hand isn't touching upon launch. Your hand might burn off.

Fireman
TEXP: 1
This allows the caster to burst into flames without causing harm to himself.
Effect: damage is Strong


...What's this? People can ignite themselves, but apparently aren't immune to any other moves regarding their fire? People can also ignite themselves apparently but can't be immune to their own electrical explosion? Hmmm, that's really funny...

My point is people don't need to be immune to other people's lightning.
But I thought that if the energy creating it belongs to the caster, then in no way should it harm one's self.
This really does just make the battles irksome, because one cannot do anything 'cool' without practically sniping someone with an explosion from 100 ft away. I mean, do people really have to ( Since the pro of the technique is increased range ) dodge their own techniques and make sure they're not hurt by them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:24 pm

I really hoped to have a short answer since I hate wall of text discussions. The following is my objective opinion. The main thing here is probably that it’s not actually the lightning that causes the damage. The lightning triggers an explosion which is rated at a destructive level of damage. Still, I will respond to the attack as a whole.

- Someone can easily walk in Hurrecayne if they’re in the eye of it, or on the outside looking in.
- Shasma wouldn’t matter because demons can’t be cursed, if anything it would cure them if they are blessed rather than harming them.
- Shandles would be easier to justify controlling the range of where the needs are to make them shoot around you, rather than through you.
- Hell’s Echoes expands from the user and covers the stuff around you in hell fire.
- No one should stand in the middle of their own Heaven’s Judgment.

“If one can use a destructive spell I assume that meant, "You may safely use a destructive spell"
No, it doesn't say that here. More constructively, using a similar metaphor, if one can use a grenade, we can assume they can safely do so. This includes the knowledge of the grenade’s area of affect and how to properly utilize it without blowing off an arm. Still, magics are known to be volatile, so it isn’t too uncommon for magic to have adverse effects. The examples with Pikachu and the Flash are not examples of magic, they are examples of super powers which is a different genre.

It’s not a lack of common sense; it’s a unique way of thinking that may or may not apply here. But look into it this way; lyteflies is a destructive level attack. What’s the draw back if it turns into something that can basically be used as a counter melee technique? If you can use it around you without any counter effects, there’s really no need to learn any other techniques. If someone punches you, lyteflies. If someone rushes you, lyteflies, rinse and repeat. I think this would be the biggest issue that counters your argument. Lyteflies isn't the only technique you can do. Furthermore, you don't seem to be in an RP where you've been caught in your own attack and are in need of clarification. I'm not sure what the urgency is with this issue, but still there are other techniques more suitable for these situations. Destructive level techniques have a high damage rating because they do a lot of output. I don’t think it wise to try and force a certain destructive level technique in a scenario it wouldn’t normally fit.

With Kaz’s points, let’s not get too far away from what’s on the site so far. Also, I’m almost certain no one is going to read the links you post. They’re not on the site, so they don’t apply, and people who you are trying to make a point to probably won’t take the time to read into them either. It's like the saying "for those who believe, there is no need for proof, for those who don't believe, there is no proof."

A) If you are standing anywhere you can see the explosion you die from shrapnel/shockwave/heat because that's how explosions work irl.
No, you have multiple choices to attack from afar or in a manner where you do not cause damage to yourself.

B) If you're standing far enough away from the person not to get hit by the besaid stuff, you won't be able to see who you're hitting anyways. I'm surprised binoculars aren't in the shop if this is the case.
100 feet is less than a third of a football field. You can see at least 50 meters, especially if elevated.

C) That element I'm strong against I'm actually weak against
Not sure where you’re going with that, but the elements page seems to be geared towards magic clashings.

D) I suppose by extension ShockX and Channel should deal weak damage when you use them too, since you don't have immunity from your own spells
Those are channeling spells, which describe outputting energy rather than taking it.

This seems to be becoming a heated issue. I would suggest a link to this thread on the admin review for now if this explanation is not sufficient.

Late note:

Blue wrote:
But I thought that if the energy creating it belongs to the caster, then in no way should it harm one's self.
This really does just make the battles irksome, because one cannot do anything 'cool' without practically sniping someone with an explosion from 100 ft away. I mean, do people really have to ( Since the pro of the technique is increased range ) dodge their own techniques and make sure they're not hurt by them?[/size]
This is where I originally stated two issues. Lyteflies causes an explosion and isn't necessarily "lighting" or "electrical" energy. That means, the explosion doesn't necessarily consist of "energy" held by the user. The major disconnect seemed to be either or not the user is immune to an effect they have on their environment versus being immune to their own "energy." If something's not on the site, it can easily be fixed, but generally that's a case by case scenario when the issue arises IC (judgment is passed > it's added to the site > it's a permanent rule). So far, no one's tried to blow themselves up. Themeless stood in Hellfire, but that was the after effect of his technique after it was used.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleMariko
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2042
Age : 29
Location : It's all in your head
Rank : The Adversary
Points : 2
Rep! : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:37 pm

The lightning triggers an explosion which is rated at a destructive level of damage. Ok, so you're saying the electrical lytflies explode with something other than electrical energy? I mean, my argument is that the energy does not come from an external source (a grenade, a land mine, a car, chemicals, etc.), it's coming from the -actual attack-.

- Someone can easily walk in Hurrecayne if they’re in the eye of it, or on the outside looking in. It doesn't specify "winds whirl outwards" or mention an eye
- Shasma wouldn’t matter because demons can’t be cursed, if anything it would cure them if they are blessed rather than harming them. Alright, so this is supposed to be a tech only for oni, I guess I meant it'd be a trap for a human.
- Shandles would be easier to justify controlling the range of where the needs are to make them shoot around you, rather than through you. Like lytflies and hurrecayne, it doesn't specify that you can control the implements of harm.
- Hell’s Echoes expands from the user and covers the stuff around you in hell fire. But due to the effects of convection, you can't have an explosion that explodes and doesn't affect whatever's in the middle of the explosion, so are we going irl physics or hollywood physics, because hollywood physics says I shouldn't be hit by my own lytflies...

“If one can use a destructive spell I assume that meant, "You may safely use a destructive spell"
No, it doesn't say that here. More constructively, using a similar metaphor, if one can use a grenade, we can assume they can safely do so. This includes the knowledge of the grenade’s area of affect and how to properly utilize it without blowing off an arm. Still, magics are known to be volatile, so it isn’t too uncommon for magic to have adverse effects. The examples with Pikachu and the Flash are not examples of magic, they are examples of super powers which is a different genre. And your example of a grenade isn't a spell, it's an external object, which is also completely different. Where does it say magix is volatile to the user?

It’s not a lack of common sense; it’s a unique way of thinking that may or may not apply here. It's unique to think someone should be screwed over by their own spell. The default in the media is otherwise because people don't like boring fights. But look into it this way; lyteflies is a destructive level attack. What’s the draw back if it turns into something that can basically be used as a counter melee technique? Because we have weapon melee and martial melee attacks that are good for close range and use MUCH less stamina If you can use it around you without any counter effects, there’s really no need to learn any other techniques. So massive drain isn't a sufficient punishment/antispam measure? If someone punches you, lyteflies. If someone rushes you, lyteflies, rinse and repeat. I think this would be the biggest issue that counters your argument. Lyteflies isn't the only technique you can do. Doesn't matter if it's an entrapment technique. Rather, I should say I like to be able to make informed decisions when I'm making a character. I don't like the idea of there being a great number of hidden mechanics that you trip over every. single. last. fight that gets contested Furthermore, you don't seem to be in an RP where you've been caught in your own attack and are in need of clarification. As I said, I was talking to certain parties on the phone. It shouldn't matter where I got the question from as long as I have a question. Rather, I'm resigned to the inevitability of another character nerf because I'm going to end up getting in another fight where there's going to be some other mistake or invisible rule and... bah I'm not sure what the urgency is with this issue, but still there are other techniques more suitable for these situations. Destructive level techniques have a high damage rating because they do a lot of output. I don’t think it wise to try and force a certain destructive level technique in a scenario it wouldn’t normally fit. Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know that lytflies had such limited applicability like... never having a situation feasible for using it.

With Kaz’s points, let’s not get too far away from what’s on the site so far. Also, I’m almost certain no one is going to read the links you post. They’re not on the site, so they don’t apply, and people who you are trying to make a point to probably won’t take the time to read into them either. It's like the saying "for those who believe, there is no need for proof, for those who don't believe, there is no proof." I only linked because I was told things about "common sense" and "irl physics". If we would kindly keep those things out of the discussion I wouldn't have the need to present evidence otherwise.

A) If you are standing anywhere you can see the explosion you die from shrapnel/shockwave/heat because that's how explosions work irl.
No, you have multiple choices to attack from afar or in a manner where you do not cause damage to yourself.
How far away are we talking here, because the shrapnel and shockwave from a 100 foot explosion would travel MUCH farther than 100 feet.

B) If you're standing far enough away from the person not to get hit by the besaid stuff, you won't be able to see who you're hitting anyways. I'm surprised binoculars aren't in the shop if this is the case.
100 feet is less than a third of a football field. You can see at least 50 meters, especially if elevated.
See previous reply

C) That element I'm strong against I'm actually weak against
Not sure where you’re going with that, but the elements page seems to be geared towards magic clashings.
Kaz said if I stand in water I get to die. "Rain" would mean I wouldn't be able to attack with any lytning magix according to him because I would electrocute myself.

D) I suppose by extension ShockX and Channel should deal weak damage when you use them too, since you don't have immunity from your own spells
Those are channeling spells, which describe outputting energy rather than taking it.
I assumed lytflies was an output as well, since the description made it sound exactly like ball lightning. Apparently it's not ball lightning so I'm having to work with a very confusing definition.

Late note:

Blue wrote:
But I thought that if the energy creating it belongs to the caster, then in no way should it harm one's self.
This really does just make the battles irksome, because one cannot do anything 'cool' without practically sniping someone with an explosion from 100 ft away. I mean, do people really have to ( Since the pro of the technique is increased range ) dodge their own techniques and make sure they're not hurt by them?[/size]
This is where I originally stated two issues. Lyteflies causes an explosion and isn't necessarily "lighting" or "electrical" energy. Why is it in the lytning pack if the attack isn't electrical? The major disconnect seemed to be either or not the user is immune to an effect they have on their environment versus being immune to their own "energy." If something's not on the site, it can easily be fixed, but generally that's a case by case scenario when the issue arises IC (judgment is passed > it's added to the site > it's a permanent rule). So far, no one's tried to blow themselves up. Themeless stood in Hellfire, but that was the after effect of his technique after it was used. Yea, it operates much like a speeding ticket. Whether you're guilty or innocent you have to waste time defending yourself. I use lytflies at visible range all the time and nobody ever questioned it because it makes sense to assume that the explosion is electrical. It's not like I'm asking "am I immune from a grenade launcher?", I'm asking "can I cast a spell without killing myself?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:50 pm

You’ve used the technique fine up until now without killing yourself. So, what’s the difference?

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaguyalover
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2348
Age : 28
Location : Miami, Florida
Rank : Kinos, Hitorinji
Points : 71
Rep! : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I think this should just be best left to the hands of shin because we're just going to keep arguing about what concept we are to be chasing after because while yes we are in a fantasy type of rp, like everything fiction not all the rules of real life would apply. So it all depends on how shin wants the rules of real life to apply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleMariko
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2042
Age : 29
Location : It's all in your head
Rank : The Adversary
Points : 2
Rep! : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:56 pm

The difference is every time I fight someone who contests something I do I always end up with something taken away. I'm just being preemptive this time because it's only more tiresome when it occurs mid-fight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Kyro: The lightning triggers an explosion which is rated at a destructive level of damage.
Kitsu: Ok, so you're saying the electrical lytflies explode with something other than electrical energy?
Kyro: No. I’m saying the electrical energy causes a physical explosion.
Kitsu: I mean, my argument is that the energy does not come from an external source (a grenade, a land mine, a car, chemicals, etc.), it's coming from the -actual attack-.
Kyro: Agreed, the actual attack and the user doing the attack.

Kitsu: It doesn't specify "winds whirl outwards" or mention an eye
Alright, so this is supposed to be a tech only for oni, I guess I meant it'd be a trap for a human.
Like lytflies and hurrecayne, it doesn't specify that you can control the implements of harm.
But due to the effects of convection, you can't have an explosion that explodes and doesn't affect whatever's in the middle of the explosion.
Kyro: Agreed.
Kitsu: so are we going irl physics or hollywood physics, because hollywood physics says I shouldn't be hit by my own lytflies...
Kyro: Neither, we’re going on whatever the site says and will say after this.

Kitsu: And your example of a grenade isn't a spell, it's an external object, which is also completely different. Where does it say magix is volatile to the user?
Kyro: Correct, it isn’t a spell. And it doesn’t state that magic is volatile to the user. Those were comparison set as a foil of your own argument and examples to show that for external factors, there can be multiples sides. Feel free to ignore that comments as both sides basically don’t matter across the board along with other examples that are not site based and will not be commented upon.

Kitsu: It's unique to think someone should be screwed over by their own spell.
Kyro: Usage is not defined and neither is “screwed.” This sounds like “no matter how you use it, your spell cannot hurt you.” Rather than, someone knowing how to use a spell without hurting themselves.
Kitsu: The default in the media is otherwise because people don't like boring fights.
Kyro: In my opinion, only resorting to one technique would make a fight boring.

Kitsu: Because we have weapon melee and martial melee attacks that are good for close range and use MUCH less stamina
Kyro: Lyteflies only costs you 15% stamina.

Kitsu: So massive drain isn't a sufficient punishment/antispam measure?
Kyro: Lyteflies only costs you 15% stamina.

Kitsu: Doesn't matter if it's an entrapment technique. Rather, I should say I like to be able to make informed decisions when I'm making a character. I don't like the idea of there being a great number of hidden mechanics that you trip over every. single. last. fight that gets contested
Kyro: Link me to the fight where this occurred this month and the OOC conflict it brought up. There are no hidden mechanicals in “you make this area go boom” unless you get into the technicalities of the technique. Since the moves are made up, so will the technicalities; they will never be, nor can they be perfect, since they don’t exist IRL.

Kitsu: As I said, I was talking to certain parties on the phone. It shouldn't matter where I got the question from as long as I have a question. Rather, I'm resigned to the inevitability of another character nerf because I'm going to end up getting in another fight where there's going to be some other mistake or invisible rule and... bah
Kyro: Nerf and calibrations are effects of your brother’s judgment. That judgment comes when something happens and an issue is reported. You put me in a MSN convo with some guy who wanted to ask about the prison system. We had a conversation over the relevance of that statement. We both agreed that since it hadn’t happened IC, then it didn’t really matter. He could make the same argument you outlined.

Kitsu: Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know that lytflies had such limited applicability like... never having a situation feasible for using it.
Kyro: It’s ok. But like the bottom line was, you’ve used it just fine until now with no problems.

Kitsu: I only linked because I was told things about "common sense" and "irl physics". If we would kindly keep those things out of the discussion I wouldn't have the need to present evidence otherwise.
Kyro: Agreed that we will keep external factors out.

Kitsu: How far away are we talking here, because the shrapnel and shockwave from a 100 foot explosion would travel MUCH farther than 100 feet.
Kyro: The description states the range of the technique and its damage. I suggest taking that at face value. It affects 20 ft per level at a destructive rating. If shin wants to add a debris rating to that and all other techniques he can.

Kitsu: See previous reply
Kyro: Ditto.

Kitsu: Kaz said if I stand in water I get to die. "Rain" would mean I wouldn't be able to attack with any lytning magix according to him because I would electrocute myself.
Kyro: Oh. Okay.

Kitsu: I assumed lytflies was an output as well, since the description made it sound exactly like ball lightning. Apparently it's not ball lightning so I'm having to work with a very confusing definition.
Kyro: It sounds to me as they are generated by the user. This seems like a different form of output as ShockX’s direct output properties.

Kitsu: Why is it in the lytning pack if the attack isn't electrical?
Kyro: I would assume, because electricity ignites it.

Kitsu: Yea, it operates much like a speeding ticket. Whether you're guilty or innocent you have to waste time defending yourself. I use lytflies at visible range all the time and nobody ever questioned it because it makes sense to assume that the explosion is electrical. It's not like I'm asking "am I immune from a grenade launcher?", I'm asking "can I cast a spell without killing myself?"
Kyro: Like previously mentioned "No, you have multiple choices to attack from afar or in a manner where you do not cause damage to yourself." You can fly, for instance.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Kaguyalover wrote:
I think this should just be best left to the hands of shin because we're just going to keep arguing about what concept we are to be chasing after because while yes we are in a fantasy type of rp, like everything fiction not all the rules of real life would apply. So it all depends on how shin wants the rules of real life to apply.

Shin will definitely be the one to say "it's like this" and it will be because "I'm Shin," but so long as the discussion doesn't seem negative, there's no reason that ideas can't be exchanged. I don't think Mariko is being necessarily negative in seeking the clarification of her ideas. I see her points so I'm sure she can see mine.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleMariko
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2042
Age : 29
Location : It's all in your head
Rank : The Adversary
Points : 2
Rep! : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:20 pm

escalation wrote:
Kyro: The lightning triggers an explosion which is rated at a destructive level of damage.
Kitsu: Ok, so you're saying the electrical lytflies explode with something other than electrical energy?
Kyro: No. I’m saying the electrical energy causes a physical explosion.
Causes WHAT to physically explode, if it's something other than electricity? There has to be something exploding for there to be an explosion.
Wouldn't an actual explosion be non elemental? As in, lightning causes a destructive explosion of "force."
That doesn't make any sense when the description implies that it's an explosion of electricity and it's in the "lytning" package, not the "energy" package.
We see that differently, obviously, since it doesn't imply to me that the explosion is electricity; something like that would seem to be more like an electrically charged field rather than an explosion.

Kitsu: It doesn't specify "winds whirl outwards" or mention an eye
Alright, so this is supposed to be a tech only for oni, I guess I meant it'd be a trap for a human.
Like lytflies and hurrecayne, it doesn't specify that you can control the implements of harm.
But due to the effects of convection, you can't have an explosion that explodes and doesn't affect whatever's in the middle of the explosion.
Kyro: Agreed.
Kitsu: so are we going irl physics or hollywood physics, because hollywood physics says I shouldn't be hit by my own lytflies...
Kyro: Neither, we’re going on whatever the site says and will say after this.
Yet, I don't see you presenting anywhere the site says, "If you use magix, you are likely blow yourself up."
However, I have several examples of people using magic and not blowing up. Take Grunty for instance. She blew up a large portion of Division 12 in a saga and didn’t blow herself up.
Then why do things have to change now?
They haven't.

Kitsu: It’s unique to think someone should be screwed over by their own spell.
Kyro: Usage is not defined and neither is “screwed.” This sounds like “no matter how you use it, your spell cannot hurt you.” Rather than, someone knowing how to use a spell without hurting themselves.
Yours sounds like “no matter how you use it, your spell will hurt you,” which is “screwed” by my definitions.
See above.

Kitsu: Because we have weapon melee and martial melee attacks that are good for close range and use MUCH less stamina
Kyro: Lyteflies only costs you 15% stamina.
Yea, but it’s my highest stamina costing tech, and it only costs 15% because I chose to specialize. Now you’re telling that the specialization I picked is designed to mess up the user.
I’m not. It sounds like with many of your arguments, you’re telling me to tell you that.
But you seem to be implying that it’s not a large stamina drain, which isn’t really true, because if I hadn’t trained it I would have to be losing 50% stamina a pop. You want to tell me that 50% stamina isn’t a high price for attacking someone at melee range, as you seem to be proposing?
It has the highest stamina drain a technique can have due to its damage output.

Kitsu: Doesn’t matter if it’s an entrapment technique. Rather, I should say I like to be able to make informed decisions when I’m making a character. I don’t like the idea of there being a great number of hidden mechanics that you trip over every. single. last. fight that gets contested
Kyro: Link me to the fight where this occurred this month and the OOC conflict it brought up. There are no hidden mechanicals in “you make this area go boom” unless you get into the technicalities of the technique. Since the moves are made up, so will the technicalities; they will never be, nor can they be perfect, since they don’t exist IRL.
Have I been posting much at all this month except for like... the past week I’ve helped bring people in? “You blow yourself up too” is the hidden mechanic I’m referring to.
Good job on your work thus far.
Thanks. I’m rethinking a lot actually.
Evaluation is always healthy.

Kitsu: As I said, I was talking to certain parties on the phone. It shouldn’t matter where I got the question from as long as I have a question. Rather, I’m resigned to the inevitability of another character nerf because I’m going to end up getting in another fight where there’s going to be some other mistake or invisible rule and... bah
Kyro: Nerf and calibrations are effects of your brother’s judgment. That judgment comes when something happens and an issue is reported. You put me in a MSN convo with some guy who wanted to ask about the prison system. We had a conversation over the relevance of that statement. We both agreed that since it hadn’t happened IC, then it didn’t really matter. He could make the same argument you outlined.
And when it does happen IC, I’ll end up going through this same process. Might as well get it out of the way while I have break time that I should be working on other things.
The process doesn’t normally work on conjecture. You should know that. So what would happen in that process? You use the technique, someone points it out that you hurt yourself (so far probably no one would have done that until now that you’ve brought it up). They ask you to correct it. You state it shouldn’t be corrected. They press the !. Shin says either “no, it’s fine” and you post or “you blow yourself up.” If it’s the later, you say “I didn’t know that, can I repost.” Since that makes sense, you will probably get to repost and that rule will be added henceforth and forever more.
It works on conjecture when it comes to moves. I don’t feel like walking into the trap of, “Oh, well, now that the battle’s started just because your tech got nerfed when that was your main strategy going in doesn’t mean you can just declare the entire thing invalid.”
That very narrow minded. Heh, welcome to our world; you seem to think/know that Shin will nerf a technique if it's done by you (or me or Kaz). I see you left out the possibility if you're right.

Kitsu: Well, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that lytflies had such limited applicability like... never having a situation feasible for using it.
Kyro: It’s ok. But like the bottom line was, you’ve used it just fine until now with no problems.
And how do you expect me not to run into problems like that time you ragged on Themeless because of how he used Hell’s Echos?
That issue was different than this issue. If it were the same, we would (or should) have an answer for this already if it was brought to Shin.
Yea, the answer was he didn’t do anything wrong and he had to go to court for no reason.
Then everything turned out fine.

Kitsu: I assumed lytflies was an output as well, since the description made it sound exactly like ball lightning. Apparently it’s not ball lightning so I’m having to work with a very confusing definition.
Kyro: It sounds to me as they are generated by the user. This seems like a different form of output as ShockX’s direct output properties.
Both are using electricity generated by the user, presumably, since the lightning wasn’t in the environment/person’s body until they invoked it.
True. Their execution is different is my point.
But isn’t it the same electricity?
Who knows, but the thing we do know based on the site is that they are used/executed differently.

Kitsu: Why is it in the lytning pack if the attack isn’t electrical?
Kyro: I would assume, because electricity ignites it.
Ignites what? If the explosion itself isn’t electrical, then what is it causing to explode?
See above.
It doesn’t make sense for the lytning to just unexplainedly turn into something else just because it’d be a disadvantage to the user.
Nothing has changed. You're personalizing this issue to make it seem like it's based simply to nerf you when your brother is the one who makes the rules.

Kitsu: Yea, it operates much like a speeding ticket. Whether you’re guilty or innocent you have to waste time defending yourself. I use lytflies at visible range all the time and nobody ever questioned it because it makes sense to assume that the explosion is electrical. It’s not like I’m asking “am I immune from a grenade launcher?”, I’m asking “can I cast a spell without killing myself?”
Kyro: Like previously mentioned “No, you have multiple choices to attack from afar or in a manner where you do not cause damage to yourself.” You can fly, for instance.
I didn’t ask what’s the applicability of “fly” I asked what’s the applicability of “lytflies”. The way this discussion is going it sounds retarded to be a lightning specialist at all, ergo it’s a trap and I’m not happy with that.
I didn’t offer that because you asked, I just gave it to you. As for the retardation of being a lightning specialist, you gave many examples that were not lightning based, so by that logic, it’s retarded to get those as well. But, I will not use that logic. I believe whether or not you can hit yourself with your own attacks, they are still useful. It’s your own responsibility to see the usefulness either way. This reminds me of when Imm used to ask how to use techniques or how they were applicable.

How to use an attack? Aim it at an opponent and post their HP deductions and your stamina drain. It should be as simple as that.

^ I agree. It should be as simple as that. It shouldn’t have to factor in “Well, am I going to blow myself up even though nowhere on the site it says I have to be even thinking about that? What about shrapnel? What about cars?” I should just be able to do my attack with the damage it says on the ability and not have to worry about people saddling on extra/invisible rules, Kimi and Kaz.
Ah, so you're saying you never do that as well. I understand.

Will you agree that the question is:

“Can your attacks hurt you?”

I would modify it to “Can your attacks hurt you while you’re invoking them?” because that’s what I’m asking specifically. I don’t want to discuss partial elemental immunity or anything like that, since I agree that if someone else uses an attack of your element, you should take full damage unless you have an immunity tech.
Ok, so the question is "can your attacks hurt you while you're invoking them?"


Last edited by LittleMariko on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaguyalover
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2348
Age : 28
Location : Miami, Florida
Rank : Kinos, Hitorinji
Points : 71
Rep! : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Ghost wrote:
Quote :
Yokai Transformation Quest
The quest to unlock the Yokai second form!
Subclass: Yokai
Requires: 14 TEXP, 750 words
A strong Yokai is able to transform into a second form which is more powerful than its first. In order to call out the second transformation, a Yokai must surpass its limits. This can be done during battle, meditation, memory unlocking or dreams. There are other ways, but in the end, the Yokai should be able to endure the stress put on it and grow into a much larger version of itself.
Quest Ability: Mystic Yokai Transformation - increases the size and attributes of a Yokai (Strong).

I've been noticing this site relies heavily on precisely how something is worded. So, I'm going to go ahead and ask to be sure. Do they have to grow into another form or are subtle changes permissible? It was just the concept of my most recent character that it isn't as much as a physical as it is mental, which in turn evokes powers buried deep within. Of course, there is a change in his eyes and demeanour.

It says it right in there that you just grow into a much larger version of yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleMariko
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2042
Age : 29
Location : It's all in your head
Rank : The Adversary
Points : 2
Rep! : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:21 pm

It doesn't specify how much bigger you get, so you could have a subtle physical change accompany the transformation (i.e. he bulks up or his hair gets longer and stands up or something). I think it's worded like that so your opponent has a clear indicator that you've gone into a transformation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Ghost wrote:
Quote :
Yokai Transformation Quest
The quest to unlock the Yokai second form!
Subclass: Yokai
Requires: 14 TEXP, 750 words
A strong Yokai is able to transform into a second form which is more powerful than its first. In order to call out the second transformation, a Yokai must surpass its limits. This can be done during battle, meditation, memory unlocking or dreams. There are other ways, but in the end, the Yokai should be able to endure the stress put on it and grow into a much larger version of itself.
Quest Ability: Mystic Yokai Transformation - increases the size and attributes of a Yokai (Strong).

I've been noticing this site relies heavily on precisely how something is worded. So, I'm going to go ahead and ask to be sure. Do they have to grow into another form or are subtle changes permissible? It was just the concept of my most recent character that it isn't as much as a physical as it is mental, which in turn evokes powers buried deep within. Of course, there is a change in his eyes and demeanour.
Generally certain things aren't big issues. There are 3 controversial figures on the site that normally invoke a closer look into things; me arguably being one of them. As for your question, since it's explicitly stated that you grow into a much larger version, you have to take it at face value that you have to grow "much bigger" (probably visually) with that transformation. You can tweak it that your yokai is much bigger than it used to be without being mammoth, but it seems like that's going to interfere with your original idea. Thus, for the secondary portion of that question: is it permissible to have a subtle change; you would actually want to direct that to the admin review board. That would be because it is requesting something character specific. Shin probably won't care that much and allow it, but officially that would be the avenue to take. For questions that you need permission on or only want the manager's say so on, use the admin review. Hope that helps.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.


Last edited by escalation on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaguyalover
Mystic Moogle
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 2348
Age : 28
Location : Miami, Florida
Rank : Kinos, Hitorinji
Points : 71
Rep! : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 pm

@ Mariko: If your going to put my name please be certain that i fight in such a manner on this very site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:23 pm


__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Ghost wrote:
Another one. Enhance in the Support package. What if the user has weak attributes? It is still usable?
Good question. The answer will be yes; the caster would just be very weak considering the effect. I would assume their attributes would go from Weak (+1) to 0.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinTre_Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3438
Age : 37
Location : Alpharetta, GA
Points : 126
Rep! : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 am

@ siSTAR, kyro, kaz, kimi & blue - you are channeling spells it's not nec. your energy. all spells were originally created by/for the hogasha so it's kind of theirs that others use.

so ya if you shoot a fire ball, someone uses portal and redirects it to you, it hits you. same spell, just aimed at you now. that's kinda the point of one of those void tech so that's where my thinking was goin on that.

but ya, short answer is you can be hurt by the spell you invoke.

i added to the breakdown page that "If for some reason your magic attack is redirected to you (or you're hit by it somehow), it can and will hurt you, so be careful." i understand that it would be really cool to walk through ur techs, but they're other techs that allow you to do that. but i will accept a quest suggestion to make someone immune to the spells they caste. so that ends that. next time, try not t'draw it out.

@ kyro - even tho you prolly thought it was a discussion, it looks like an argument to me. dun argue w/members on the board and follow the rules on the rules pages. thx
also, dun edit other ppls posts w/o their permission. all good?

@ all - if i need to clarify or reword techs, use my admin board, plz.

__________________
"One man must not block another man's cock; he must guide it." - Kiun
_______________________________________
||S|H|I|N||I|S||T|H|E||B|I|G|C|H|E|E|S|E|!||
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wotr.forumotion.com
Datorru
Veteran
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 679
Age : 32
Points : 0
Rep! : 3
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:22 pm

So question, a move like: Lytning bind that Paralyzes an opponent. Just how long does the paralyzes last?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm

As many posts as the user holds the spell unless you can overpower it.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Alright a two pronged question..
1: Can taintings have custom techs after you have learned and mastered the required amount in the package?
2: If so; when making custom techs for them do you follow the same rules about making custom techs for packages?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Yes.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
яuиє
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 3978
Location : Someone's head.
Points : 12
Rep! : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Alright, when you have a taint, do you have to do the xformation before you can use any of the techs, or can you use the techs with out having to do the xformation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aѕceпxion
Ascended Tonberry
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 6937
Age : 29
Location : California
Points : 148
Rep! : 110
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Xformation required for techs.

__________________
"I Am The Solution."
.: Jyn | Seiki | Domen | Paco | Akil | Izuya :.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rei
Veteran
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 851
Location : Domenance
Rank : Average
Points : 0
Rep! : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm

» Summon Spirit
This enables the user to call their summoned spirit out into the physical realm. It stays attached to the user, though it can act on its own.
Effect: drain based on Transformation

» Disconnect
Allows the physical separation of the Spirit from the Summoner so that they will both exist in separate physical bodies. In this form, the Spirit cannot venture too far from the Master.
Effect: range = 20 ft per level

My question is, would the Summon Spirit ability be like a Spirit's Spiritual Impression Quest (though still attached to the user). If so, then wouldn't Disconnect (without summon spirit) be a like a Spirit who hasn't done Spiritual Impression Quest? [If this was already answered, could someone place the answer here?]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Technique Questions   

Back to top Go down
 
Technique Questions
Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Puppetry Questions
» Water Release Technique Master List
» Zen Human Weapon Technique (Ready for Review)
» Shiro, Aneira - [ Kumo Genin ] - WiP
» Newbie Questions / F.A.Q for the literate

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Site Help-
Jump to: